Sticking red engine start/stop switch.

nibor

Reaction score
Has anyone tried removing from the bars the combined red engine start/stop switch as mine doesn't spring back following starting the engine ?

I am sure it just needs cleaning and lubricating, but I am wary if I open the switch it's contents, springs etc. might fly out. I have tried WD40 down the sides of the switch but with no improvement.

bloggsy

Reaction score
Come on Robin take it back under warranty I also tried wd 40 I am now waiting for a phone call to take the bike into Deardens. yours Eric

Stripy

Reaction score
Yes, its a known issue. Possible the plastic parts expanding somehow, as lubing etc doesn't help

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Mine was replaced under warranty but replacement just as bad..
Going to have to live with it methinks...

bloggsy

Reaction score
Dealer has told me to take the bike in next Friday 20th Jan and the sticking switch will be replaced. watch this space.

Last edited:

bloggsy

Reaction score
New starter switch fitted this morning under warranty, whilst there I looked at the 2017 09s no demo's as yet just display bikes, rather fancy a new one but will have to see what deal can be done.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Can you all post what the model and year of your bike is on these kind of posts, could prove useful thanks.

bloggsy

Reaction score
Mine and nibors are both 2015 models nibor has done around 8k mine has done 11k and mine was the first my dealer has had to replace. Hope this helps Lew

nibor

Reaction score
Not yet, I still haven't taken the bike over to Deardens to have the defective starter switch photographed "before" they will order a replacement switch to be fitted under the warranty.
Is this normal Yamaha policy does anyone know, with dealers having to photograph defective parts before they are able to order replacements from Yamaha ?

nibor

Reaction score
New switch fitted today under warranty, hope this one lasts longer than the first.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Thanks bloggsy only reason I mention it is as could give an indicator what one might expect further down the road as the bikes get older.

nibor

Reaction score
2015 - MT0-9 abs.
Replacement ignition switch fitted exactly one year ago and this one is "almost" as bad, apparently it is critical the switch is returned to the centre position after the engine starts otherwise the switch and solenoid burns out.

This happened to a friend with his 2017 - MT 0-7 (same switch fitted), his bike is still under warranty, but it took the dealer a quite a while to a obtain a replacement switch, probably because there was a massive backlog from other dealers all wanting new switches for other owners with the same problem.

My dealer said they might approach Yamaha on my behalf for a free replacement switch because my bike it is out of warranty, but I would probably have to pay the labour charge for fitting it.

Or should I live with it like R60wdlad said after his replacement switch turned out to be just as bad, just making sure the switch is centralised after the engine starts.

In my opinion there is obviously a major problem with these poor quality "rubbish" switches and Yamaha should do something about it possibly with a recall. Because it is not much fun waiting almost 5 hrs for recovery (in winter) when the switch and solenoid burns out as happened to the friend with his MT 0-7.

Nibor

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Got used to it now. It did irk me when I bought my bike from new and had it replaced just to find the replacement was virtually the same.
Apart from that all well with the bike!