Low seat for Tracer

Glennholmes

Reaction score
Hi. Anyone out there can give me any info about the low seat for the Tracer. I have the standard seat on the low setting but because I'm only 5-6 I find it awkward on uneven ground. Yamaha do a low seat and I was wondering what people think and if it is worth it or there are better options out there. Thanks.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Yamaha do the tie rods to lower the rear suspension

trevorleigh

Reaction score
Hi. Anyone out there can give me any info about the low seat for the Tracer. I have the standard seat on the low setting but because I'm only 5-6 I find it awkward on uneven ground. Yamaha do a low seat and I was wondering what people think and if it is worth it or there are better options out there. Thanks.
I am 5ft 8, and I have the low seat, and the lowering dogs bones, so the seat is about 45-50mm lower which is perfect for me and I feel more secure with it.

The low seat in no more comfortable than standard, but it is not any worse either. it you just want a little bit of lowering the dog bones are by far the cheapest option, with those and the front forks dropped a bit, give you about 20mm.

Davyecc

Reaction score
Low seat

Hi I have just fitted my low seat as I am the same height as you, it is Ok my feet are flatter on the ground the only down side is it's a bit hard, I'm gonna see if I can get a gel pad fitted.

Glennholmes

Reaction score
Hi I have just fitted my low seat as I am the same height as you, it is Ok my feet are flatter on the ground the only down side is it's a bit hard, I'm gonna see if I can get a gel pad fitted.
Thanks very much to all. Think I'll invest in a low seat, dropped the bike today due to uneven ground and losing my footing, need to get my feet or at least one down easier.

Davyecc

Reaction score
Linkage

Thanks very much to all. Think I'll invest in a low seat, dropped the bike today due to uneven ground and losing my footing, need to get my feet or at least one down easier.
Yup I'm gonna invest in the lowering linkage as well.

Watty2017

Reaction score
I am 5ft 8, and I have the low seat, and the lowering dogs bones, so the seat is about 45-50mm lower which is perfect for me and I feel more secure with it.

The low seat in no more comfortable than standard, but it is not any worse either. it you just want a little bit of lowering the dog bones are by far the cheapest option, with those and the front forks dropped a bit, give you about 20mm.
I have read elsewhere that with the lowered links on you need to replace the side stand, which seems a bit extreme, is that true? Cheers

Hexme

Reaction score
I had my test ride on a Tracer with a low seat, I felt like it was making me sit forward almost as if was at an angle?

Watty2017

Reaction score
I fitted the Lust racing lowering kit : Yamaha lowering kits | Yamaha MT07 MT09 MT10 MT125 XSR700 XSR900 Tracer 700 MT09 Tracer XT660Z Tenere XTZ1200 WR125 YZF R1M R1 R6 R125 lowering kits XT660Z Tenere and more! LustRacing.co.uk which are slightly lower than the Yamaha ones, i'm 5.8"and with a 30" inseam and can plant both feet down, had to shorten the side stand as it looked like an accident about to happen on anything less than perfectly level.

Did you fit the lowering kit and do the side stand shortening yourself or did you get local dealer etc. Do it for you, just trying to figure out, if a big job or one I could do myself?

O

owle

Did you fit the lowering kit and do the side stand shortening yourself or did you get local dealer etc. Do it for you, just trying to figure out, if a big job or one I could do myself?
Watty, i fitted the lowering dog bones myself, not difficult to do, as for the side stand i purchased a secondhand one from eBay, with the intention of bringing it to a local engineering firm to have them cut 15mm out and re-weld it, but when the stand arrived it had already been short-tend, which was a nice surprise and saved a few quid. If you do shorten your stand do your own measurements so your happy with the results, in other words don't use my guesstimate of 15mm as i'm a suck it and see type of person.

Watty2017

Reaction score
Watty, i fitted the lowering dog bones myself, not difficult to do, as for the side stand i purchased a secondhand one from eBay, with the intention of bringing it to a local engineering firm to have them cut 15mm out and re-weld it, but when the stand arrived it had already been short-tend, which was a nice surprise and saved a few quid. If you do shorten your stand do your own measurements so your happy with the results, in other words don't use my guesstimate of 15mm as i'm a suck it and see type of person.

Thanks for the advice.

Scaley

Reaction score
My bike is lowered by 30mm with stock side stand. No problems yet, you just have to watch where you park.

Sent from my thl T6 pro using Tapatalk

trevorleigh

Reaction score
I have read elsewhere that with the lowered links on you need to replace the side stand, which seems a bit extreme, is that true? Cheers
My side stand is just the standard one, not shortened, modified or changed, it still works fine. I would be a bit careful which way I parked on even ground I guess.

Glennholmes

Reaction score
Great tip about the Side stand, hadn't thought about that one, and will certainly bear it in mind when I get my new links from Lust Racing. Will let you know what I do when I fit the new Dog bones.

Glennholmes

Reaction score
An update on lowering my Tracer. Being 5,6" and having trouble getting a firm footing on uneven ground, I have just had the Lust Racing dog bones fitted at the same time as Maxton Front and back suspension. Bike is now some 20mm lower and once the Maxton guys finished with my bike set up it has been transformed. As well as a brilliant ride now with superb handling with the new suspension, the ride height is now spot on for my legs and no need to get a low seat. Only draw back is that when using side stand the bike is a lot more upright and you need to take a bit more careful of where and which way round you park the bike. I will mod the stand by cutting it down a little to resolve this when I get time.. For anyone interested in the Maxton kit, it is spot on and the guys at the workshop where brilliant and full of advise and help. Money extremely well spent.

pinay_ako

Reaction score
i thought i'm the only one who wanted to lower my tracer's seat height.. and was surprised to find this site that i also have the same problem as some of u here...

i'm only 5'4" and it's difficult when i'm caught in a traffic jam (that doesn't even move for an hour.. (yesterday was the first time i rode my bike on an uncontrolled environment since i had it 2 fridays ago... 3 days after i got it, i rode to a vacant area and i thought it's just that easy and riding it on other places will be just as fine)

i have the seat lowered by the mc shop before my brother drove it home. i thought it's enough for me becoz i can tiptoe while on it. BUT to my surprise, it's very different when i'm already riding it in in the city and needed to stop. i almost felt like leaving my bike in the middle of the traffic....

just a few questions for those who have put lowering kits on their bikes:

is there any effect on the:

aerodynamics?

riding comfort regarding the body position (specifically the arms and the spine)?

engine performance?

ground clearance of the bike?