Pdm60

Kiwirider

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a Rowe Electronics PDM60 to their Tracer? I am about to fit one to power the various accessories I want to fit (radar detector, GPS unit plus riding lights). I am interested in where to tap into the wiring for the power feed. Perhaps the wire feeding to the rear tail light? Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed. Cheers.

Shaun64

Reaction score
When I've fitted extras like heated grips etc I've tapped into the front parking lights as they are turned off with the ignition,radar detector?.

Ratcatcher

Reaction score
I used the rear light wire under the seat for mine nice and easy that way. The Pdm60 is great this is the third bike I have had it on.

ib1-2

Reaction score
I used the rear light wire under the seat for mine nice and easy that way. The Pdm60 is great this is the third bike I have had it on.
Which one is the rear light ignition live, can see a white plug but unable to separate it and two lots of wires going under the bike? I want to feed a rear camera the wiring diagram I have has very small print so it's difficult to see what's what.

Kiwirider

Reaction score
I have just finished all my electrical wiring, etc over the Xmas holiday period and the live wire to tap into at the rear I am sure was blue (I tested it first). I tapped into it to the rear of the white connector under the pillion seat.

ib1-2

Reaction score
I fitted a Fuzebox similar to the the pdm and connected to a brown wire at rear to light. Had to peel back insulation to get to it then soldered the new feed wire to it and re-taped up. Run camera from it and soon a heated front seat. SAT NAV front camera and fogs run from spare connectors under dash.

ninjaef

Reaction score
Guys, dont give numpty advice on electrics. "Tapping" into a circuit is folly unless you know what you're doing and have at least basic fundemental grasp of current - which I sense isnt prevailing in great amounts on this thread !

For a start, the circuits are not designed to tbe "tapped" into. Each circuit has a power source which is fused at the correct amperes for that circuit, and the connecting wires are of the apprioriate gauge for the amperes being drawn. Any additional load can result in overloading circuits, blown fuses, damaged accessories/equipment. If you have "tapped" into wires and everything is "OK" then that is pure luck nothing more.

Even a simple set of Aux LED lights (2x10W LED) would draw around 1.6A. "Tapping" into a live circuit without knowing what amperes that circuit is on and using incorrect guage wire for the TOTAL load, risks damaging components or at worst a fire in the wires you cannot see and by the time you can see/smell the fire its going to be all over in terms of your electrics! The worst case Ive seen is heated grips being connected to a LED lighting circuit. The grips were 30W each so 60W. The lighting circuit is 1.5A fused at 2A. But because the rider kept blowing the 2A fuse because his lights were a crap chinese eBay product, he replaced with a 10A fuse which allowed BOTH grips and lights to run but still on the thin guage wire. On a rideout , after 1 hour he smelt burning and as he stopped flames errupted from underneath the tank. We were by the side of a greasy takeaway bar in a layby so I threw dirt all over the bike and dowsed the flames. He needed a towtruck to get home and a claim on his insurance for the £1800 bill.

Don't mess if you don't know !!

Bikes provide auxiliary connectors - indeed mine has 3 under the dash/instrument panel. Simple enough to get to. Failing that a Innov Power Hub can provide switched variable fused lines for upto 7 accessories with a TOTAL draw of 30A across all.I use the Innov device and it works well.
Innovv PowerHub 1 | Motorcycle Auxillery Power System

Last edited: