Engine warning light

Morseman

Reaction score
I joined this forum because I did a search for Euro-4 details and then saw a post advising people to put their bikes on the centre stand, spin the back wheel by putting the bike into gear and applying the brake to see if the front brake lever also affected the back brake.

Murphies law kicked in and I can't now find it again.

So, this is a warning to people that this practice *may* result in an engine warning light comming up.

I wanted to re-lube the chain on my MT-09 Tracer, so I put it on the centre stand and wanted to warm the chain before applying the lube, so I spun the chain up by putting the bike into 2nd gear and releasing the clutch slightly to spin the chain.

*THAT WAS A MISTAKE*

That was detected by the sensors that monitor the front and back wheels and I got an engine warning light come up. I was going to enter a motorway to go to an event but decided not to go. A week later the dealer had a slot to check and confirmed that the error code was that the back wheel and front wheel sensors were saying that there was an error.

So, unless you have an adapter and a error code reader and reset (I'm still trying to find out which connector and what code reader to use) don't spin the back wheel when the front is not moving at the same rate as you will probably get an engine error that wont clear until someone with a code reset system resets it for you...

El Bandito

Reaction score
Morseman,

I opened a thread 2017 "Tracer engine warning light" cos I got the same result by loobing my chain with the engine on and in gear. Strange thing is though that it didn't do it straight away. It was the 5th time I had done it that way but it hadn't thrown the warning light before. The only difference I saw was that I'd the had the 600 service and because I could now rev to 6800rpm I'd managed to get the traction control to kick in. Has your TC been activated?

Morseman

Reaction score
I don't think the traction control kicked in, I only got the orange engine warning light. It's been cleared now and I've not had any problems with the bike.

Sven

Reaction score
@ El bandito
I remember reading about a problem that customers were having on Audi cars. A warning light would come on & they had to go to the dealers to have it reset. But they were told it only came on after the ecu had registered the fault 5 times! Maybe Yamaha's are the same??

Last edited:

El Bandito

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone popping wheelies has had the engine warning light? Does the bike wheelie in mode A and get the warning light? If the TC needs switched off to get it to wheelie and they don't get the warning light then that might be the way ahead for us lazy folk to loob the chain.

Morseman

Reaction score
On the 2017 model, I don't think you can turn the TC off. I think you only get the option of mode 1 or 2, I'd need to check the manual though, but the selector button just toggles between the two settings.

(Update. I looked in the manual and I have to hold the button in for about wo seconds to switch it off)

Last edited:

flying circus

Reaction score
Well that's a pain, just done this running the bike went through the gears and yes engine management light is now stuck on.
Anyone no of fix?

flying circus

Reaction score
Popped down to dealership today 10 minutes later I was given my bike back with problem fixed.
No charge so brought the cakes for staff, so learn from my mistake and don't DO IT.