Suspension setup

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Hi all.
Anyone tried setting up their front suspension with success either self taught or watched one of the videos on the internet ?, if so as it in some ways cured the high speed weave at all

TRA

Reaction score
So do I. I have to work out my aims, then start adjusting for them, hopefully going the right way. I know enough to get into strife!

kdimitris

Reaction score
Can’t setup mine... new springs needed at least, shock at the last position but still sucks. I’m 165 lbs (75 Kg) w/ gear, so in the range...
Springs must be stiffer and shock is all ready to hard...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toppie

Reaction score
I bought my 2015 Tracer secondhand in July 2016 from another rider on this forum.
Excellent purchase for me. He'd really looked after the bike.
However, he had the suspension set quite stiff and, he was quite a bit bigger than me, and, a lot of my riding's done on ''lesser''roads around where I live in Ireland.
I altered my settings to 'book standard' but found it still a little on the firm side for me so, I've tweaked it in stages until it suits me.
I'm not an expert and for this exercise I didn't go into the 'sag' thing. I tackled it much the same as blockhead suggested. In increments until I reached a good point for me.
I think its best to make small adjustments at a time and make notes as you go. Much easier then to step back when/if you feel anything 'adverse' appearing.
The stock suspension on the MT-09 Tracer's not 'ever-so-sophisticated' but there is room to experiment.
I've been riding bikes for over half a century now and always twiddled like this.
The Tracer's suspension, relatively unsophisticated amongst today's stuff, does for me, offer ample room for experiment.
The notes I made while 'softening' my ride allowed me to quickly adjust back for a couple of European excursions where nicer surfaced roads allowed a stiffer set-up.

I've never experienced a 'High Speed Weave' but I have had that 'head-shake' thing happen. It didn't bother me too much as I'm not sitting at 120mph for very long!
I swapped out the OEM screen and afterwards noticed during a trip through France and Germany, on some fast roads, the shake didn't appear.