Coolant temps uk

Tracer kid

Reaction score
I’m struggling to reach 65-70 deg c on my 15 mile commute which my be caused by a stuck open stat.
What are you seeing in this ambient temp of around 4-6 deg c ?

stevecbr

Reaction score
Mine runs about 70 when riding along A roads, but stuck in traffic on the daily commute it will get up to over 105 degrees. The fan will come on every day, whatever the weather, after about 8 miles of A roads followed by a couple of miles of stop/start city traffic.

bobh

Reaction score
Yamahas generally run pretty cool on the open road. I think mine generally shows in the low 70's when the ambient is 10-ish. So I'd not be too worried.

bobh

Reaction score
Went for a little ride yesterday and did a check on running temps.

Ambient temperature 12-13deg (according to the bike's readout). Coolant 65-68 on the open road, rising to low 70's when slowing in built-up areas, then dropping back once out in the country again.

So it looks as if yours is absolutely normal. I'd guess the thermostat is set to open around 65.

Tracer kid

Reaction score
Cheers for the feedback guys I’m used to car stats opening at 88 lol

woodie100

Reaction score
Hello all
I fitted a scottoiler today and checked the throttle bodi s and they were out slightly so glad I took the plunge to strip the bike down to do the balance thingy. Now the main reason for this post was to ask getting the bike up to temp to adjust the vacuum on the throttle bodies, the fan kicked in at about 80-90ish but I noticed a drip of what was blue water landing in the down pipes along with a tissss sound so I put a container underneath and caught a couple of egg cup fulls of this blueish water. At first I thought it was oil leaking from the oil filter but I’m not 100% sure where it’s coming from but needless to say I’m gutted as I’ve only had it for 2 weeks or so!!

Spoken to dealer and it’s booked in for a check over (don’t really trust them that much) but I have warranty on it so going to use it.

Can anyone tell me what the round thing with the large nut is? It seems to be coming coming from there but not sure as water will find the lowest point to drip from.

Any ideas??

Cheers
JonB

fizzy

Reaction score
Hello all
I fitted a scottoiler today and checked the throttle bodi s and they were out slightly so glad I took the plunge to strip the bike down to do the balance thingy. Now the main reason for this post was to ask getting the bike up to temp to adjust the vacuum on the throttle bodies, the fan kicked in at about 80-90ish but I noticed a drip of what was blue water landing in the down pipes along with a tissss sound so I put a container underneath and caught a couple of egg cup fulls of this blueish water. At first I thought it was oil leaking from the oil filter but I’m not 100% sure where it’s coming from but needless to say I’m gutted as I’ve only had it for 2 weeks or so!!

Spoken to dealer and it’s booked in for a check over (don’t really trust them that much) but I have warranty on it so going to use it.

Can anyone tell me what the round thing with the large nut is? It seems to be coming coming from there but not sure as water will find the lowest point to drip from.

Any ideas??

Cheers
JonB
It's the oil cooler

bobh

Reaction score
It's coolant, and it definitely shouldn't be leaking from there.

I'd have thought it should be a fairly simple job for them to fix, without too much dismantling - just a seal, I'd guess. But get them to check that no water has got into the oil, and ask them to change it (the oil) if there's any doubt.

Is it still under Yamaha warranty? If so they shouldn't quibble, as they'll get paid for it. If it's a dealer warranty and they won't play ball, get straight on to Yamaha, in UK at first, if no dice, in Holland. Don't let them mess you around.

One reason I'm favouring Kawasaki these days (are you listening, Mr Yamaha?) is that they do a good deal on extending their warranty to 4 years. And it is their own warranty, not farmed off to an insurance company who will find some obscure exclusion clause to fight every claim.

fizzy

Reaction score
Why the link to CBD oil Fizzy? I hope its not going to turn into a long drawn out dispute. Its out of Yamaha warranty now :(
Haven't got a clue why it's done that link ! ...if it is the oil cooler that's the problem there's plenty on eBay but it is probably leaking from higher up and dripping off the oil cooler you need to get the cooling system pressure tested

woodie100

Reaction score
Thanks, both, I'm sure it won't be much, maybe I caught a hose when I was dismantling fiddling and as I have said the leak of water is finding the lowest point to drop from. i seriously doubt that there's water in the oil cooler. It was watery nd also blue in colour (antifreeze) so im not too worried.....yet! JonB

fizzy

Reaction score
Thanks, both, I'm sure it won't be much, maybe I caught a hose when I was dismantling fiddling and as I have said the leak of water is finding the lowest point to drop from. i seriously doubt that there's water in the oil cooler. It was watery nd also blue in colour (antifreeze) so im not too worried.....yet! JonB
That sounds more like it I would run the bike up to temp and have a good look around with a torch

woodie100

Reaction score
It's coolant, and it definitely shouldn't be leaking from there.

I'd have thought it should be a fairly simple job for them to fix, without too much dismantling - just a seal, I'd guess. But get them to check that no water has got into the oil, and ask them to change it (the oil) if there's any doubt.

Is it still under Yamaha warranty? If so they shouldn't quibble, as they'll get paid for it. If it's a dealer warranty and they won't play ball, get straight on to Yamaha, in UK at first, if no dice, in Holland. Don't let them mess you around.

One reason I'm favouring Kawasaki these days (are you listening, Mr Yamaha?) is that they do a good deal on extending their warranty to 4 years. And it is their own warranty, not farmed off to an insurance company who will find some obscure exclusion clause to fight every claim.
Well I took it down to them (gently) as she was getting hot fairly quickly, turns out where the coolant goes in n around the oil cooler the joints have corroded and have begun to leak. Was expecting a battle from the dealer but after looking around the showroom for a 2nd hand one to take off ano bike he failed and they have ordered a new one which will be fitted once recieved. They have also lent me a MT07 on a 68 plate which seems so small in comparison. Seems fun to ride but not what I want in a bike. Hopefully won’t be too long but at least it’s going to be done under warranty (hopefully!!!)

Regards

JonB

woodie100

Reaction score
Hi all,

Turns out it was the oil cooler where the coolant goes around the oil cooler to cool the oil down. they replaced it and FOC also did the recall handlebar thingy.
Topped up the coolant today as it looked a tad low as the temp has been getting high fairly quickly. Not sure if this was the cause as its a new bike that this is normal??

Who knows!! I don't !!

regards

JonB

woodie100

Reaction score
Stevecbr/all,

That's exactly what has happened to the oil cooler. Replaced under warranty. Also did the recall handle bar tightening thing so all good. Checked the coolant limit via the radiator today (whilst cold) and it seemed to be a tad low so topped up with antifreeze (only a cup full if that) and replaced cap. Going for a ride tomorrow so will see ;)

JonB

Last edited: