Battery terminals different on new battery?

Locksmith

Reaction score
Probably need a new battery as mine isn't holding enough charge to start her up after being left 2 or 3 weeks.
Looking at the pictures of new Yuasa YTZ10-S batteries on-line the positive and negative terminals are reversed to my original one.

Is this OK or is there a special fitment battery for Yamaha?

Locksmith

Reaction score
I'm a twonk, sitting here at work I think the battery lays on it's side in the bike which puts the terminals in the right place.

Find out tonight and if true give myself a good kicking.

kev

Reaction score
what about an optimate, the battery on my mt-01 needs it on in winter and summer if left for a week or more, think it's the original battery so 12 years old.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
Standard Yasa YTZ-10S is weak for our triples.. last year i went for the stronger YTZ12S (which is stock battery of the FJR1300) as my dealer suggested and promise that will last.
MT-09 has enough space for the "fat" YTZ12S when you take off a piece of sponge that is placed in battery's place.
Then there are no weak starting anymore..

Locksmith

Reaction score
Used to use an optimate religiously on my bikes until one suffered a failure despite being plugged in all winter with the green OK light showing.

This is the first problem I've had in 4 years on he MT.
I gave it a try after about 5 months in the garage and it was flat. Plugged the optimate in for a day or two and it had the green light. Tried to start it around 3 weeks later and it was flat again.

Charged up again and after 3 days she started. I took her out for an MOT and stopped for petrol so the starter got used several times in a short space. Went for a short 10 mile blast on the way home.
Will be using the bike this weekend so will see how it goes!

bobh

Reaction score
I think with batteries on new bikes a lot depends on how they were treated by the original dealer. As I understand it, the battery is fitted as part of the PDI, and if that's done in a rush and the battery isn't properly charged before delivery, that could affect its life. Also depending on whether it's been kept charged during storage.

Optimates etc. are good, but I now don't leave them connected for more than a few hours at a time. A while ago we had a power cut of almost 24 hours. A couple of days later I remembered that I'd left the charger (actually an Oximiser in this case) connected to a bike, and when I checked it, the battery was dead. It must have discharged through the Optimate and that killed it - it wasn't very old and was healthy before. The only reason I'd left it on charge was because the bike hadn't been used for a couple of months. Lesson learned.

bobh

Reaction score
Update on the Oximiser 'battery killer'.

I've just discovered that there was an intermittent contact in the mains plug of this particular charger. The fuse had worked its way along, to the point where it was barely touching its clip, probably due to movement of the pin when it was plugged and unplugged. For some reason this charger doesn't have a moulded-on plug, which I don't think would be susceptible to this problem.

So it's quite possible that the charger was un-powered for much longer than the 20 or so hours of the power outage. So only a relatively small drain over that period of time could have been enough.

Fortunately I noticed and fixed the problem, hopefully before it destroyed its next victim!