New MT09 owner checking in

Mikejbry

Reaction score
Hi all, I bought a 2016 MT09 just over a month ago. I was originally considering a new z900 or a 765 street triple R, but this MT09 popped up at a steal of a deal.

5k miles, r and g tail tidy and rear bobbins. Otherwise standard. It needs an exhaust system, the stocker is far too quiet!

My previous bikes over the last couple of years have included a 2013 street triple, zrx1200r, sv1000s and a ZX7R (my second). So I sort of new what to expect with the MT after having the triumph, gutsy and revvy at the same time.

I wasn't far wrong, except this packs far more punch, the suspension isn't quite so refined but so far I absolutely love it.

Cheers all

Mikejbry

Reaction score
Here are the for sale ad photos. Not had chance to take any of my own so far.

Mods planned are as follows:

*Ordered a fly screen already, an OEM replica
*Bar end mirrors, if I can tell which ones will stay in place at speed
*Maybe some Chinese CNC levers, I like the adjustability
*Tutorial chain oiler

The expensive considerations:
*Full exhaust of some description, most tempting ATM is the carbon Akra, £707 on eBay
*Possibly in future some handling mods, Andreani cartridges and perhaps a nitron rear shock. I believe JHS near me supply and fit both.

So there we have it, any inspiration appreciated :)

Cheers,
Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

tony_d123

Reaction score
Welcome, I went through exactly the same choices before plumping for the MT. You won't be disappointed :)

RussR

Reaction score
Forget the rest, just sort the suspension, if I hadn't (ZX6RR shock, K-Tech revalve/resprung) I'd have sold it, in standard form I think it's dangerous if you want to do any more than ride it like a commuter.

Having sorted the suspension it's now quite good - Chinese adjustable stubby levers work well, Yamaha and Puig flyscreens are OK but anything over 115 and you take a real battering.

Mine's a late 2015 and I can just about get on with the fuelling (stick it in B mode around town) and I'm reluctant to have it remapped for one reason - economy - it currently does over 60mpg and you need all the MPG you can get with only 14ltr between your legs.

If you want a louder exhaust, just don't wear earplugs - modified standard exhaust and remap is as good as any exhaust swap for BHP and noise.

Mikejbry

Reaction score
Good to know! K tech cartridges are around £120 quid extra after you factor in new springs compared to the andreani, any one tried both?

Mine has been remapped by Yamaha I believe, it's not overly economical though. Will put a few tanks through it and see how it does on average. I get the feeling the dash over reads mpg massively.

I don't often wear ear plugs, only when I ride the Dullville to work, but I wouldn't mind a bit more noise. I was tempted to pick up a second system to hack up..

Last edited:

Littlebruv

Reaction score
The Akrapovic exhaust, Isn't that one for the MT-09 ?, On the Akrapovic website there's one for the MT-09 and one for the 900 Tracer

Mikejbry

Reaction score
Set the sag last night and had some unusual results.

To get the static sag set between 25 and 30% of total travel, for me (70kg without gear)

It requires the rear on preload position 2 and the front with just 2mm of rings showing (6mm with the adjuster nut) .

So wound in front, backed off rear, the springs are not matched in the slightest

Last edited:

stevecbr

Reaction score
I bought a 2nd hand standard exhaust from Ebay for £60, cut some internals out and had it welded back up by my local fabricator for £20. A fair bit louder, but not as loud as Akra without baffles!
Mines an original 2013 model, never been flashed, standard suspension (I weight about 75kg) and I have no issues.
Now done nearly 27000 miles on it, still looks and rides great