drive chain dust?

sweetthdevil

Reaction score
Hello all,

As you can see from the pictures the bike is covers of some sort of fine dust around the drive chain - like it is grinding something. I cleaned/ lubed and tension the chain two weeks ago and removed the front sprocket cover to clean and check that the drive chain wasn't grinding anything - there is no mark anywhere and I couldn't see anything that the chain would touch anyway. I did about 400miles since and it already needs to be tensioned again. I commute to work everyday mostyl on motorway and enjoy the occasional hard acceleration but I am normally a smooth rider.

thoughts?

Kiwirider

Reaction score
Your chain looks to be very dry indeed - are you sure that you have lubed it? Make sure your chain is running true on the sprockets and is not at a slight angle (I use a chain alignment tool on mine just to be sure that I get it perfect. About the only other possibility is the chain being over tightened but it doesn't look like it in your pic.

sweetthdevil

Reaction score
Yes definitely lubed and applied quite a bit to it using WURTH HIGH PERFORMANCE DRY CHAIN LUBE. I am also using a tool to make sure the chain is aligned & tightened according to the manual.

According to the manual, the chain needs to be adjusted to 5/15mm slack whilst on the central stand - which seems to be quite tight.

bloggsy

Reaction score
Yes definitely lubed and applied quite a bit to it using WURTH HIGH PERFORMANCE DRY CHAIN LUBE. I am also using a tool to make sure the chain is aligned & tightened according to the manual.

According to the manual, the chain needs to be adjusted to 5/15mm slack whilst on the central stand - which seems to be quite tight.
The adjustment figure you quote is wrong it is in the handbook as 5-15 MM. slack and it's a misprint, I dont know the correct figure but if you do a search it's somewhere on this site,

sweetthdevil

Reaction score
Jesus Christ! You would imagine that Yamaha could handover handbook that are correct!

Mikejbry

Reaction score
Chain slack should be roughly 25-30mm (general rule of thumb for all bikes) at the slackest point while on the side stand. At 15mm slack while on the centre stand I doubt you have any slack at all once the bike is back on the deck.

As for those spray lubes, don't waste your money, they are gummy and attract dust.

Parafin and a rag/toothbrush to clean your chain properly, followed by gear oil or engine oil to lubricate it afterwards, I brush it on with a cheap paintbrush.

Then I run a rag along the chain and get off any excess. Jobs a good un

kernow

Reaction score
Chain slack should be roughly 25-30mm (general rule of thumb for all bikes) at the slackest point while on the side stand. At 15mm slack while on the centre stand I doubt you have any slack at all once the bike is back on the deck.

As for those spray lubes, don't waste your money, they are gummy and attract dust.

Parafin and a rag/toothbrush to clean your chain properly, followed by gear oil or engine oil to lubricate it afterwards, I brush it on with a cheap paintbrush.

Then I run a rag along the chain and get off any excess. Jobs a good un
Agree 100% with all of the above, that's exactly how I do it and have done for many years. Wurth products are second to none and I have also used them for many years, but never the dry chain lube, and looking at your chain it is crying out for gear oil....proper lube. :eek:

sweetthdevil

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. So you are using the same engine oil (you use on the trace) for the chain? Does that not make a meds and fly around?

JohnD

Reaction score
From your pics, the chain is pitted on the rollers, get a new one.
The dust on the rim is probably brake dust.

Mikejbry

Reaction score
Oil will make a mess in comparison to spray lube yes.

Small price to pay for a chain that lasts well and doesn't need adjusting as often. Looking at your bike, you must ride it in winter a fair bit, so a bit of oil coating the surrounding parts wouldn't be a bad thing!

But typically after you oil the chain and dry it off with a rag, you minimise the potential mess.

robin

Reaction score
Your chain defo wants oil. It’s dry as a bone!
I use TUTORO Automatic Motorcycle Chain Oilers

– TUTORO Ltd. It works off vibration of the bike. You can set it to one drip every 45secs and there isn’t too much spray.
I use chain saw oil from B&Q. Or just engine oil. The chain is always wet with oil and therefore get very little wear!

sweetthdevil

Reaction score
From your pics, the chain is pitted on the rollers, get a new one.
The dust on the rim is probably brake dust.
The chain is absolutely fine, it's that dust that covers it - will change the lube method but once cleaned there is no corrosion or damage.

Mikejbry

Reaction score
Fact of the matter is, you are having chain issues and having to adjust it rather regularly.

Clean and lube the chain properly, set the correct slack and your issues should go away.

The dust is likely being attracted to your chain simply due to your method of lubrication. Dry weather will churn up a lot of dust unfortunately.

Last edited:

sweetthdevil

Reaction score
Agreed, just cleaned it, check the slack and it's correct between 25/30mm (check to forum) and bought some engine oil. Will be live after lunch.

Mikejbry

Reaction score
Nice one :)

I love the look of a freshly oiled chain me! I live a simple life :p

sweetthdevil

Reaction score
And it is looking oiled and ready to run!! Just busy watching the English moving forward!!

bobh

Reaction score
I use Wurth Dry Lube in summer, because it doesn't attract much dust or fling. Ipone do a 'Sand Lube',mainly for off-roaders; that's similar, but not so readily available.

But, like every aerosol lube I've tried, it's not too good at keeping corrosion at bay when there's any salt around. So in the winter, when there's no dust but plenty of water, I've taken to using a Renthal lube that comes in a squeezy bottle (so no loss due to overspray). It's a sticky, stringy oil and doesn't seem to fling off too much around the rear of the bike like engine oil does.

I generally reckon to get 25-30,000 miles out of a chain. Though I should also mention that I like to fit a new front sprocket (the component that wears quickest) about half-way through that mileage.

stevecbr

Reaction score
My 2013 MT09 has now seen 5 british winters, has done over 28000 miles and is still on the original chain & sprockets. I use gear oil applied with a toothbrush every couple of hundred miles, as it does fling of a bit.

sweetthdevil

Reaction score
Must admit, yes it did flew off a bit but not worth than some of those bomb I used in the past. But best advice I got!

Thanks