Phone as GPS

fizzy

Reaction score
Google maps on my samsung galaxy got me 3000 miles through Europe twice without any major problems also used navmii as a back up and you don't need a data connection but you need to download the relevant maps free of charge it has speed cameras on it and other premium features at a small one off cost

Wharfe

Reaction score
Big comparison in this month's Ride mag, numerous Phone apps, free and paid, all rated. Probably this will provide the answer to all your questions. One thing I will say - it's probably worth the hassle of coupling your phone (in a waterproof case) to a mount on the bike etc etc with a decent App, over the cost of a "good" bike Satnav. I bit the bullet (or rather persuaded Mrs Wharfe to, last Christmas) and bought a well-rated bike sat nav, and TBH, it ain't all that for the considerable outlay.... no names, no packdrill...

Littlebruv

Reaction score
Do the phone map apps have alternative routes apart if you have downloaded tomtom or Garmin app ?.

Wharfe

Reaction score
My Chuffin TomTom (oops) has various random "alternative routes" for the same journey. Just one of the reasons it completely baffles me...

Littlebruv

Reaction score
The alternative routes are good for if there is any trouble on route like road works

fizzy

Reaction score
Do the phone map apps have alternative routes apart if you have downloaded tomtom or Garmin app ?.
Google maps gives you alternative routes and has live traffic information road works accidents etc and then gives you an alternative route

fizzy

Reaction score
great...thx for the reply
Give it a go mate it might save you buying a tomtom I have a ram mount x grip, usb power supply for the phone and a waterproof cover on my phone paired up with a senna intercom it works really well

fizzy

Reaction score
20150327_191502.jpg

This was the old setup I had o my original 2014 mt09 works well got a mt09sp now with the x grip setup if you're interested I can post a picture tomorrow

sweetthdevil

Reaction score
I have an Ultimate addons tough case with a waterproof socket connected directly to the battery (comes with a switch to turn on/off)

I use waze all the time, gives you traffic updates, speedcams, police, accidents, will direct you to another route due to accident/traffic, etc

sweetthdevil

Reaction score
Yes used Waze In the Uk, France and Australia. Never missed a trick and would highly recommend.

With the current EU deal, you should be allowed to ROAM abroad - essentially use the 3/4g on your phone at no added cost part of your monthly allowance

Honestly, I have used Copilot (very good), Google Maps (ok), Tomtom and Waze is by far the best! However, if you want to plan a road with multiple stops then Waze doesn't allow it, it's conception is to give you the best option to go from A to B depending on the status of the road (gets its data from all the users around the world, and also feeds from Google Maps app installed on Android/Iphone)

fizzy

Reaction score
I have an Ultimate addons tough case with a waterproof socket connected directly to the battery (comes with a switch to turn on/off)

I use waze all the time, gives you traffic updates, speedcams, police, accidents, will direct you to another route due to accident/traffic, etc
I am going to give waze a go thanks for the tip

Unfazed

Reaction score
I've used Calimoto on 2 trips this year, Luxembourg/Germany in May and just got back from the Vosges on Monday. Excellent app and easy to plan.