Post your suspension settings here.

RipGroove

Reaction score
Ok so it seems the MT-09 is a little bit bouncy and skitish in standard form and as most of us either aren't ready to or don't intend to upgrade the suspension so need to get the most out of the standard kit. So it would be handy to have some settings that give good results in one place so go ahead and post your settings along with your weight.

Sent from outer space

M

MT account

and the sags, is there a recommended sag setting for these bikes?

RipGroove

Reaction score
and the sags, is there a recommended sag setting for these bikes?
As above, sag needs to be set with you on the bike. I'm after some general settings that people of varying weights have tried and found to be better than stock.

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok. I posted this on another thread this afternoon but in the interests of information here goes....

I'm 13st and 6ft tall.

Rear shock...cranked to number 6 and damping wound fully in then back half a turn

Front shocks are wound rite down so only the first ring is showing (I believe this is 10mm but can confirm if needed to) and damping is the same as the rear...fully in (hard) and back half a turn.

This has sorted it to near perfect for me, (handles just as good as my K7 Gixxer track bike)! corner speeds are being carried a lot faster with no twitching when you get in the power early. No "diving" of the front forks under harsh breaking now either.

I hope this helps so wot.

Just remember every rider has a different style so it mite not be to ur liking.

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

www.facebook.com/spudrees

RipGroove

Reaction score
Ok. I posted this on another thread this afternoon but in the interests of information here goes....

I'm 13st and 6ft tall.

Rear shock...cranked to number 6 and damping wound fully in then back half a turn

Front shocks are wound rite down so only the first ring is showing (I believe this is 10mm but can confirm if needed to) and damping is the same as the rear...fully in (hard) and back half a turn.

This has sorted it to near perfect for me, (handles just as good as my K7 Gixxer track bike)! corner speeds are being carried a lot faster with no twitching when you get in the power early. No "diving" of the front forks under harsh breaking now either.

That's some good info, appreciated.

Sent from outer space

misscrabstick

Reaction score
I'm not a fast rider, I just like it so the potholes don't shatter my spine, I am not telling you lot how much I weigh.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not a fast rider, I just like it so the potholes don't shatter my spine, I am not telling you lot how much I weigh.
Hi. Have you done any kind of set up/fettling on ur suspension or are you just running stock set up?

Wud love to know wot ur thoughts are on it as there's a hell of a lot of potholes were i live and I dare say most of the guys on here too

misscrabstick

Reaction score
At the moment I am on max spring preload on back and plus half on the screw in from whereever it was on standard, i tried it with one off the preload but it felt pogosticky, front i feel is allrightey for me as is.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
At the moment I am on max spring preload on back and plus half on the screw in from whereever it was on standard, i tried it with one off the preload but it felt pogosticky, front i feel is allrightey for me as is.
Fair enough... as I said earlier... not everyone is gonna have the same settings bcoz we all ride differently... and use the bike for different things...i.e commuting, weekend bike etc etc... as long as ur happy with the setup that's all that counts

RipGroove

Reaction score

I'm 13st and 6ft tall.

Do you mean like this? Or up to the very last ring?

Sent from outer space

julianziggy

Reaction score
i weigh about 73 without gear on. my preload adjestment hasnt changed from stock. however ive completly screwed in the damping screws for maximum damping. seems to do the trick

RipGroove

Reaction score
Seems to be a trend so far then both here and FZ09.org, this is good info as it seesm to be working for quite a few people. I'm just under 13st so have upped the preload and damping just now so will see how it feels today.

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seems to be a trend so far then both here and FZ09.org, this is good info as it seesm to be working for quite a few people. I'm just under 13st so have upped the preload and damping just now so will see how it feels today.

Sent from outer space
I found that when u give it a fist full it doesn't always "lift" so u can get on the gas more and more without the worry of hooping it over and looking a knob when ur watching the bike go sailing down the road minus a rider lol.

Glad I cud be of some help ;)

My Toy

Reaction score
This is probably a bit premature of me as I don't have my MT yet but from what I remember of the test ride I'm going to have to do some setting up. Try as I did I couldn't see the damping screw for the rear shock!! Also, I notice that the damping adjustment is on the right fork leg only. All my recent bikes, Firestorm, CB1300, VFR have had poor damping and soft springing in the front. Rather than spend lots on new springs I have found a reasonable solution has been to put suitable spacers on top of the fork springs, not excessive, about 8mm max so there's no chance of the springs going "coilbound" under braking, and thicker fork oil, usually 15w. However, I have no experience with USD forks, especially where there is no damping screw on the other leg. Has anyone got experience of these forks, the left leg has to have oil in it, right???

RipGroove

Reaction score
I found that when u give it a fist full it doesn't always "lift" so u can get on the gas more and more without the worry of hooping it over and looking a knob when ur watching the bike go sailing down the road minus a rider lol.

Glad I cud be of some help ;)
Just been out on some fast bumpy B-roads with the same settings as you and I'm actually really impressed, almost felt like a different bike! Before it was like a pogo stick and now it feels like its damping infinitely better.

Sent from outer space