10%out of sync speed on the speedometer

Mathmk7

Reaction score
Hi there Im from canada and I just fitted a garmin gps on my mt09 2018 bone stock , I was shock by the différence showing on my speedometer and the actual speed on the gps wish is the right one, I must run 120 kms to be at 110 . My preview fz1 was out of sync but not as much !

Im wondering if its something can be done to calibrate the speedometer a bit better and wonder if its a different one depend on the country you are.

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

stevecbr

Reaction score
In the UK I think its standard practice to overread by 10%. This over reading can be corrected by an ecu reflash, which can also remove the restrictor and smooth out the fuelling

Greenman41

Reaction score
Mine is the same. When I changed the gearing on a previous bike I fitted a Yellow Box correction device, it was wired into the sensor circuit. Google might help you.

Personally I just live with the error and adjust the speed in my head.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Yeah up to 10% error is the manufacturers norm, nothing to worry about. It's illegal for them to under-read so they make them the other way to be sure.

If it really bothers you, you can get a 'speedo healer' from Healtech - here's the UK ebay link -https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-M...edo-Healer-Official-Ebay-Seller-/332337288024

A bit pricey but a decent option if you don't want to go the ECU re-flash route.

Last edited:

the cueball

Reaction score
Think you mean they have to make sure the speedo over-reads.... the bike should always tell you you’re going faster than you actually are...

If they made it under read then you would be going faster than the bike showed you...

Mathmk7

Reaction score
From what Ive seen from youtube the speedohealer require to splice wires to put the thing and the customers service is not pretty , the only thing im not sure is if the police radar using the real gps speed to track us haha

Envoyé de mon SM-G960W en utilisant Tapatalk

olivierzx

Reaction score
The police is using a laser/radar speed wich is perfect.
There cars/bikes are not homologated.

On my 2017 the error is between 8 and 10%, it depends on the tyres age. (8 when new, 10 when near the end)

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
From what Ive seen from youtube the speedohealer require to splice wires to put the thing and the customers service is not pretty , the only thing im not sure is if the police radar using the real gps speed to track us haha
I had one previously and they come with the correct connectors to fit into the harness.

You would only have to splice for the universal kits that are intended for older bikes or if your particular bike isn't one they've made a version for yet.

Police detection will be calibrated to show your exact speed. It wouldn't be admissible if it was anything other than accurate. Also don't rely on your GPS to show your exact speed. They can be slow to update if you're accelerating and also don't account for gradients i.e. if on a steep slope, the GPS will show you're slower than you actually are.

kev

Reaction score
I ride at 75mph on the duel carriageway as in North Yorkshire the 70mph is not enforced until you exceed it by 10% +2mph, so 78mph you're OK 79mph you're done and I have been done at 79mph. (this was on a FZ6N) at a indicated 75 I am passing most cars so their speedos must also be reading high?