12V hardwiring for GPS

Gruffalo

Reaction score
I will be wiring up my GPS on my 09 Tracer sometime soon and was wondering how other people have done this.

Is there an ideal tap off point on the Tracer?

I can of course connect it directly to the battery but I was wondering if there were any convenient auxillary connections (maybe wired fuses) or something similar.

I'd prefer not to use the 12v outlet, but to hardwire my Zumo (550) cradle to the bike (this must be supplied with 12v as the cradle provides the correct voltage to the GPS ).

Many thanks

Sven

Reaction score
I've also got to do this, as just bought a Tomtom rider. There are 2 spare connectors behind the screen/dash. I've already used 1 to install a second accessory socket. I'm hoping to use the other for the Tomtom. Not yet decided whether i buy a plug or just cut off the existing one & crimp/fix it on.

B

Benchmark

I've also got to do this, as just bought a Tomtom rider. There are 2 spare connectors behind the screen/dash. I've already used 1 to install a second accessory socket. I'm hoping to use the other for the Tomtom. Not yet decided whether i buy a plug or just cut off the existing one & crimp/fix it on.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be connecting my TomTom this week.

Gruffalo

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip [MENTION=1996]Sven[/MENTION], I thought there might be something, there was on my old bike.

After searching further I came across this guide for fitting LED handguards on the interweb which also shows the spare connectors behind the headlight fairing:

http://dzell.net/manual/led-manual.html.

Be aware that some GPS's don't use 12v but 5V (mini USB) so you may have to use a rectifier For example something like this:

Buy 100 PCS LOT DC 12V to 5V 3A 15W Step Down Car Power Supply Mini USB 5 Pins Male Connector Voltage Regulator #090049 in Cheap Price on Alibaba.com

In my case the 12v is supplied to the cradle and this rectifies it for the GPS.

Last edited:

Gruffalo

Reaction score
Many thanks for the info here, I fitted my "cradle" yesterday by using one of the unused switched 12v plugs as talked about.

In my experience the power pin on my zumo 550 cradle corrodes much quicker when it is connected to a perminent (unswitched) 12V (even though it has a rubber cap on the conection pins when not in use).

One thing that I noticed was that the 4 screws holding the screen on the front seemed quite flimsy, anyone had any problems with these, or do they still work fine after many miles?

Last edited: