17 Tooth Front Sprocket ?

MartinB

Reaction score
Guys and Girls
Anybody know where I can get a 17 tooth front sprocket for a MT09?

I know what it does, and the implications of such a mod, but I still want to try it.

Thanks all

Banksy

Reaction score
B&C express stock renthal in lots of sizes.. was going to go to a 15 when I did my chain but ended up stock size again.

donut

Reaction score
Guys and Girls
Anybody know where I can get a 17 tooth front sprocket for a MT09?

I know what it does, and the implications of such a mod, but I still want to try it.

Thanks all

Well, did you give it a try and what did you think of it. Am considering this myself.

stofer

Reaction score
New sprockets: 43/17 installed

Hi Folks
Well, I finally installed my new sprockets: 17T on front and 43 on rear. Giving a final transmission ratio of 2.53 (compared with the original 2.8125).
i.e. 11.1% longer transmission.

Here are the results: RPM / Odometer / Real speed measured by GPS. (All speed are in Km/h)
Original sprockets:
RPM........Before ODO.....Before REAL

New 43/17 sprockets:
RPM.........After ODO.......After REAL

Notes:
- New speed increased by 11% as expected. But what I was really aiming for is lower RPM in the same speed.
- Odometer shows increased speed. This proves the bike speed is measured at the wheel, and not the front sprocket. (common myth)
- What I was looking for is lower RPM and fuel consumption in cruising speeds. My Tracer is customized for touring, not races. (side cases,
top case, touring screen, etc...)
- My original concern was loss of torque. But this is not a real problem, The mt09 has plenty of power and torque. If I need more power or acceleration
I downshift a gear.
- Obviously, the only time I cannot shift down a gear is in 1st gear. But that does not present a problem. The 1st gear with the stock sprockets was so short, I
could easily start moving in 2nd gear. Now, I start in 1st gear, as God intended...
- In 6th gear the bike run in "ECO" mode up to 127 Km/h . The environment and the polar bears in the rain forests of Brazil thank me :)

See the graph plotted in Excel that shows the measurements.
speeds_graph.JPG

MTrider

Reaction score
by the way, I fully understand your filosofy with the taller gearing, and the possibility for downshifting if more power is needed. Never quite could follow the guys who put on lighter gearing on their sportbikes. I had a SV1000S before, and a guy at the forum said he geared it quite a bit down, for having less gearchanges.......????????
But we all are different and change our bikes in the way that makes us smile. :)
My MT09 is primarily a toy, so I find the gearing fine

Old Salt

Reaction score
hello did you have to do something with your chain length,if you put the standard chain length did it become to thight or could you get enough slack