Question 2015 Tracer vs 2020GT

Nemo

Reaction score
Hi Folks - I had a Tracer in 2015 and ran it for nearly 2 years. Although it was a great bike I went back to a BMW 1200GS because I felt that the Tracer wasn't quite right for me and needed a bit of improvement. Also, I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 18 stone so I seemed to max out the suspension quite easily. However, I still hanker after that 3 cylinder engine. My questions - is the new Tracer GT a significant improvement on the original? and secondly - am I just a bit too big for it? All opinions and mickey taking are welcome :)

DaveC

Reaction score
H Nemo.
Welcome to the forum 👋.
Unfortunately I can't comment on the Tracer as I have not owned one, I have the MT09.
Triumph Tiger 1200 an option for you ?
Quite a bit dearer though o_O

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Haven't ridden a GT so not sure, but I would say my Tracer benefited massively with a Nitron rear shock. It might be worth road testing one (when we can get out again) and seeing what you think, but keep in mind the suspension can always be upgraded) - also the new Tiger 900 is out this year, might also be something to look at.

Nemo

Reaction score
Thanks Otters Pocket - I've heard good things about Nitron.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Well... i am total opposite to the 6’3”ers (thats u Nemo), i am a tall 5’4” (and a bit).. i have a mt09 with ktech razor rear, and front springs.. massive improvement over stock.

End of Feb I bought a GT.. had a great deal on ex demo, not done many miles because of the lockdown, but roughly setup the GT suspension and I do like it, but I am only 12-13 stone (should be about 11.. tubby). I will pop down to Revs Racing and get it setup right... but a really enjoyed the rides so far... not sure if the longer swing arm has much to do with it but time will tell... either way, I love both bikes so keeping the 09 too!

Nemo, take one out for a few hours....