2017 mt-09

bloggsy

Reaction score
Took the 2017 MT-09 for a demo the other day it was the grey with the fluorescent wheels, it is the same as the earlier model but it has a quickshifter and a slipper clutch which are good, the engine is smoother but still has the annoying transmission whine in 2nd 4th and 6th gears which seems odd, I was the first to ride this bike so had to take it easy to settle the tyres in, then I could wind it on I covered 120 miles and really enjoyed the day, after returning the bike I filled out a questionnaire, then placed an order for a new one, so quite a productive day, then got on my old MT-09 to ride home and had a couple of beers.

Last edited:

Locksmith

Reaction score
Is it different enough to warrant the price difference between yours and the new one?

Bit of a stupid question I suppose as you've ordered one :)

otaylor38

Reaction score
Is it different enough to warrant the price difference between yours and the new one?

Bit of a stupid question I suppose as you've ordered one :)
Seems like they're different enough for someone if they're renewing a lease or finance deal perhaps, but im not sure i could see enough difference to trade in one which was a cash buy.

If you know what i mean?

Seadoc

Reaction score
I have a 2016 MT-09 and took the new one for a test ride just before Christmas. The new model has a lighter clutch pull (slipper), better fueling, better suspension, better seat, better lights, less wind turbulence to the rider. The quick shifter is very nice too. I ordered a new one and was told it would be ready for delivery on 6 January, still waiting apparently due to a soft ware problem preventing Yamaha New Zealand from releasing the bikes!
I know, hard to believe! I have already ordered a tail tidy to get rid of that thing on the swing arm!
So, yes, I thought the 2017 is a significant improvement on the previous model.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Interesting opinions.
Mine is a cash bought bike which I have spent cash on. I was offered £3600 to swop which is a big difference. It would have to be a big difference between the bikes to make me do it!
The main thing being would I need to change the suspension on a new one?

Funnily enough I'm not hating "that thing on the swingarm". Kind of adds to the "street" flavour I thought.

Not doing anything anything until I've ridden the thing again. Its been in the garage since the end of last September for various reasons !!