2017 Tracer engine warning light

El Bandito

Reaction score
Out and about today when I noticed the engine warning light was on. I was near my dealer so went straight there to get them to check. Seems they've had a few like this. They asked me if I'd been running the bike in gear on the centre stand. I'd just washed it and cleaned/lubed the chain with the engine running and in 1st gear. Seems the bike sees the rear wheel moving but the front stationary so threw out the error message. They had to plug in to the diagnostics to confirm that is what it saw and then had to delete the warning light. They also told me that the logs showed I'd stalled the bike at some point. Clever stuff these electronics. Or are they?
1/ I've only had the bike 5 weeks so it's now had 5 washes which includes 5 clean/lubes of the chain using the same method. Why has it only given the warning now?
2/ The warning light stays on till the dealer resets it. So if I was brave/good enough to switch off the traction control and pop some wheelies I'd be stuck with a warning light till I either go back to the dealer or wait till the next service. What happens if another issue crops up while the warning light is on? Will it be masked?
3/ As for the bike stalling, that wasn't me so either the bike is telling lies or one of the mechanics has stalled it.
4/ If it knows these things, what else is it recording that I don't know about? Shouldn't there be something from Yamaha telling us what is recorded so we know the implications?

Sven

Reaction score
The most worrying part of your post is that you clean/lube the chain with the engine running & in first gear.
I've seen pictures on the internet of people who have lost fingers doing just that. I'd really suggest not doing it.

El Bandito

Reaction score
I use an old brush to rub against the chain front and back to on the top side clean the crap off. That way I don't get my fingers involved. I've been doing it that way for the last 14 years and never managed to get anything caught in the chain.

tezzer

Reaction score
Mine's the oil light, which is apparently oil level not pressure. I have had it come on when running a few times now, and each time I have immediately stopped the bike, checked the level (perfect) and watch the oil circulate when the engine is restarted.

Mentioned it to the dealer and all I got was "yeah, they do that sometimes".

Hardly confidence giving when you see that bright red light on the dash.

El Bandito

Reaction score
Tezzer,

I take it your light goes out again once you switch off and back on again?

tezzer

Reaction score
Yes, most mornings, if I ride out of the village up a fairly steep hill, it'sll come on, and remain on until I turn the ignition off, and back on again. Oil level is fine, and I've emailed the dealer about it to have the sensor looked at.

Laffli

Reaction score
My engine light has come up twice after washing and lubing the chain, but both times gone off on its own.

otaylor38

Reaction score
You can reset it yourself in the bikes diag menu. No need to visit the dealer and pay them :)

TRA

Reaction score
What does happen if we turn traction control off to do the lube thing? Surely it won't throw a warning light then?

Or does it? Fiik.:confused: