24000 mile service

biggeorge

Reaction score
Hi just had my MT09 TRACER a 24000 mile service and 5 valves needed to be re shimmed,so total cost was £565.00.

expensive , never paid as much for any of my cars !!:cool:

Stripy

Reaction score
Ouch, that sounds a tad expensive - but be glad you haven't had a Trumpet - that would be your price nearly at every service :)

Where did you get it serviced?

stevecbr

Reaction score
seems flippin expensive! I thought shims would be no more than £5 each.
I'm sure my dealer quoted me approx £350 for the 24000 service (mines now at 20200 miles)
Is there a big difference between checking and swapping over?

Shaun64

Reaction score
I am surprised 5 valves needed adjustments,was the bike running fine and starting well?.

Chuck Thrillseeker

Reaction score
common problem by all accounts! Here on an Australian forum nearly everyone is having the shims done too and here in Oz it's a little over a $1000 for that 40k service

cheers chuck

chump

Reaction score
seems flippin expensive! I thought shims would be no more than £5 each.
I'm sure my dealer quoted me approx £350 for the 24000 service (mines now at 20200 miles)
Is there a big difference between checking and swapping over?
cams out to change shims hence high labour cost.

your £350 will be to check clearances only, not change shims.

Shaun64

Reaction score
common problem by all accounts! Here on an Australian forum nearly everyone is having the shims done too and here in Oz it's a little over a $1000 for that 40k service

cheers chuck
Chuck are the people getting the valves adjusted reporting running and starting problems? Cos with 5 valves needed adjustments I would have thought there would be some running issues like bit of noise or poor starting.

Chuck Thrillseeker

Reaction score
Chuck are the people getting the valves adjusted reporting running and starting problems? Cos with 5 valves needed adjustments I would have thought there would be some running issues like bit of noise or poor starting.
No most are just as surprised as you are hearing about it. They never new anything was wrong! yet all had tight valve clearances?

A couple of people have had their 40K service and not had any problem but there does seem to be more that need it. Another note was they were all the early models, people are wondering if it has been addressed with the later models

cheers chuck

Shaun64

Reaction score
Let's hope so chuck, mines due its 6000 mile service next month I will ask if they have had many valves to adjust and report back,I let dealer do my first service for my warranty then I will do the 12.000 miles service and so on so I could do with out having to adjust valves.

Kimmie

Reaction score

cheers chuck
Just did the 40K service on mine (hubby did the valve clearances) and it needed 2 shims replacing, everything else was ok...just need to tighten the new chain a little.

$1000 for the service is a standard cost for this service...I nearly fell over...WOW.
Lucky I have a good mechanic (hubby) that charges mates rates.... :D

stevecbr

Reaction score
Had mine done yesterday, it has done 25200 miles. Cost was £400, 3 shims were replaced.Apparently took 6 hours. Didnt need plugs or air filter, as were done last time

kev

Reaction score
As my dealer can't even top the oil up, I will not be getting it serviced by them, as I have no intension of selling my bike, I'll service it myself, the money I "hope" I'll save will go towards a new bike, although if it lasts as long as my FZ6n did it might be a mobility scooter I'll be buying?