abs when how why please ?

the voices

Reaction score
HI all, on the mt09 has the abs got a lean angle sensor or is the abs active all the time, cheers wayne

im used to squaring off a corner with a slipper clutch and wondered if the same could be done using the abs, ie get the back end to rotate at a slower speed to the front wheel, does the abs only work on the brake that is applied, does it operate front and rear oh hell please someone explain abs on this bike for me.:confused:

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Each wheel is fitted with a "tone wheel" ( small disc with holes), mounted near to the tone wheel is the wheel speed sensor, as a hole in the tone wheel passes by the wheel speed sensor a small current/pulse is generated, a stationary wheel produces no pulses, a rotating wheel makes pulses the frequency of which rises with road speed, this phenomena lets the ABS control unit know when a wheel is about to lock, when a wheel locks the control unit removes braking pressure from that wheel until it rotates again, and then if it locks again it removes the pressure again, the ABS system will cycle like this until the wheel stops locking, it is this that causes the familiar lever pulsing as the system kicks in and out cycling the brake on and off.

The actual mechanics of the system include solenoid valves that shut off brake pressure to the wheel and a pump that cycles the fluid around a circuit that bypasses the brakes during a lock episode and maintains lever feel and position.

Often the ABS function forms part of a traction/ stability control system as the circuitry can be used to prevent wheel spin by applying the brakes when traction is compromised independantly of any rider input on the brake levers.

This is all I got, hope it helps.

Locksmith

Reaction score
ABS only works on the brake applied. The brakes are not linked.

Don't have a clue what you are on about though :lol

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Ps, i never heard of an angle sensor being part of a bikes ABS system, on some cars, VW is one they use a "Yaw" sensor as part of the ESP ( electronic stability system), they also have steering angle sensors on the steering column, and height sensors on each corner of the car.

On the MT09 the engine has a angle sensor that cuts the engine if it hits the deck, the plan being the oil supply does not suffer due to an uncovered pick up in the sump.

I know all this shit due to 30 years of scrabbling about in the dirt as a general car repair tech :) just started back at it actually after 4 years out looking after my sick mum, ( she died sadly).

the voices

Reaction score
cheers misscrabstick and locksmith, so by activating the rearwheel abs it should rotate at a slower speed hence allowing me to square the corner off, i best get the bike back together and try thanks wayne

misscrabstick

Reaction score
I have no idea what will happen from a stability point of view, I suppose the rear end would squat a bit under a flat out brake hit, I guess you'd be jabbing at the brake momentarily?

the voices

Reaction score
Ps, i never heard of an angle sensor being part of a bikes ABS system, on some cars, VW is one they use a "Yaw" sensor as part of the ESP ( electronic stability system), they also have steering angle sensors on the steering column, and height sensors on each corner of the car.

On the MT09 the engine has a angle sensor that cuts the engine if it hits the deck, the plan being the oil supply does not suffer due to an uncovered pick up in the sump.

I know all this shit due to 30 years of scrabbling about in the dirt as a general car repair tech :) just started back at it actually after 4 years out looking after my sick mum, ( she died sadly).
good info there thanks, i lost my mum last year after a 4 year battle she was 62, thats why im going to do the mt09 for the track as we are here for a good time and not a long time.

the voices

Reaction score
I have no idea what will happen from a stability point of view, I suppose the rear end would squat a bit under a flat out brake hit, I guess you'd be jabbing at the brake momentarily?
its hard to explain,but on the two stroke moto i used to late brake on the front down the box a gear or so and also apply the rear brake but allow it to rotate stil ie not skid and this would allow the rear to step out and square off the corner. i gota have a bath cheers

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know wot u mean. I do that on the MT but I just call it "drifting into a corner". I do it exactly the same way as u described. Occasionally I lock up the rear for a minute second but that's because I don't have ABS and get a bit excited with the rear brake lol.

flipper

Reaction score
the ABS will pulse the fluid to the caliper to stop the wheel going slower than the other wheel and road speed.

you cannot do what you're trying to with the ABS as it will do the exact opposite - as soon as the wheel starts to lock the brake will come off, then reapply. the purpose of Anti lock Braking is to stop the wheel speed differential becoming too great.

Last edited:

Locksmith

Reaction score
Ya canne change the laws of physics Captain :)

But for the small amount of time the rear brake is depressed, I would have thought the ABS will stop it locking but it will still be turning slower than the front?

All beyond me anyway, I'd crash if I tried it!

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
the ABS will pulse the fluid to the caliper to stop the wheel going slower than the other wheel and road speed.

you cannot do what you're trying to with the ABS as it will do the exact opposite - as soon as the wheel starts to lock the brake will come off, then reapply. the purpose of Anti lock Braking is to stop the wheel speed differential becoming too great.
Of course you can drift in the corners with the MT-abs.. i do it constantly.. the way is always have the body inside before you start braking, lift down 2 gears and same time press the pedal as enough as not to block the wheel. the ABS is activate only when the wheel starts blocking, so you have some help in drifting but not so many as when the bike hashn't abs.
Also, because i used my bike at first 1000km with the 1st abs unit and then i did the recall with the 2nd gen, i can say that the 1st unit was more "helpfull" than the second which seems to my taste more sensitive.. but it is easy to "educate" the right foot and... have fun:cool:

Last edited:

Locksmith

Reaction score
Im surrounded by riding gods :)

So I take you are riding this bike like a super-moto style ?

My natural reaction is to stick my knee out and corner it like rossi :)

RipGroove

Reaction score
its hard to explain,but on the two stroke moto i used to late brake on the front down the box a gear or so and also apply the rear brake but allow it to rotate stil ie not skid and this would allow the rear to step out and square off the corner. i gota have a bath cheers
That's called "backing it in", it's how Supermoto's corner when racing. It's wrongly referred to as drifting quite a lot (when drifting the rear wheel spins faster than the front and when backing in the rear wheel spins slower than the front). ABS is not what you want to achieve this, a slipper clutch would help maintain a longer slide but if you're a ninja on the clutch lever you should be able to maintain a slide by feathering the clutch and rear brake. Plenty of videos on YouTube. Basically though to initiate a slide:

Get your weight over the tank approaching corner.
Lots of front brake to unload the rear suspension.
Countersteer.
Knock it down 2 gears and pop the clutch fast (to break rear wheel traction).

Sounds simple but all of that has to be timed perfectly and you have to be going quite fast to begin with.

Once you've got it to break traction, to keep the slide going you need to feather the clutch (unless you have a slipper) and feather the rear brake, the aim is to prevent the rear wheel from gaining traction again until you are ready to exit the corner.

It's actually a really tricky thing to pull off, even more so with no slipper clutch. I'd say that ABS will only hinder you TBH.

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

rob5006

Reaction score
Normally i am a fan of ABS but not on the MT09...this bike is part supermoto and by having ABS , it is may be defeating the purpose and stunting capabilities of the bike. That having been said, this bike has many roles and functions, so there is something for everyone, ABS or not .......for me it's an urban scrambler.

Last edited: