Adjusting drive chain

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Okay folks so which way do you adjust your drive chain. I suspect there is no difference , the owners manual says adjust on the side stand, the service manual says adjust on a Paddock stand.
Both methods give the same settings 5mm>15mm. must admit 5mm seems tight to me even 15mm seems tight.
What do you set yours to. Torque set for axle nut 150Nm lock nut 16Nm.

TIM80

Reaction score
Okay folks so which way do you adjust your drive chain. I suspect there is no difference , the owners manual says adjust on the side stand, the service manual says adjust on a Paddock stand.
Both methods give the same settings 5mm>15mm. must admit 5mm seems tight to me even 15mm seems tight.
What do you set yours to. Torque set for axle nut 150Nm lock nut 16Nm.
The manual settings for the chain is way too tight . I adjust mine 20-25mm. on a paddock stand.. Use the Torques in the Manual just be aware the axle bolt head will mark the chain adjuster when you torque it up as its not a perfect fit with the bolt head flat. The Standard adjusters are basically shite.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Have adjusted it on a paddock stand about 20mm slack now, and yes the adjusters are shite, TT did you get yours replace on a warranty claim. I did torque it to 150nm but mat redo that as does seem tight. I think about 120/125 nm would be more than enough.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes replaced under warranty straight away. 110 is about as much as I will go. To be honest it's always done up by "feel"

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Done by feel???? what length of bar you using, My mates torque wrench max setting is 200nm it is about 18'' long , not exactly ball breaking to achieve 150nm. I will get to a dealers and ask them to put in a claim, but being Spain I will not hold my breath.

LewFZ1

Reaction score
It was his chain adjuster plates, if you checkout a post I put on about the Tutoro chain oiler I was asked were I had placed the nozzle. I attached a photo and TT picked up on the damage on my chain adjusters. My bike is a 2013 MT-09A and only new to me about a month now. Today is the first time I have adjusted the chain and on close inspection , yes there is a bit of damage to the adjusters. I do not see it as a problem but it is not right and as the bike is still under warranty might as well see if Yamaha will replace them.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Done by feel???? what length of bar you using, My mates torque wrench max setting is 200nm it is about 18'' long , not exactly ball breaking to achieve 150nm. I will get to a dealers and ask them to put in a claim, but being Spain I will not hold my breath.
Probably about the same length I guess

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Yea I wonder if it is a Yamaha thing, the tension they suggest in the Owners & Workshop service manuals for the chain seems ridiculous 5mm>15mm I think that must be a typo 15mm>25mm to me would be more like it. I have set mine to 20mm.
I have noticed that there is a different feel to the bike now as my chain was quite slack must have been 30mm +
When you think about the torque setting for the spindle nut 150nm I suppose when you think about the torque being applied to the rear wheel especially when under heavy acceleration? maybe that is why they do say 150 Nms. Also take into account the poor rear suspension when setup in standard mode , lets face it the bike is like a bouncy castle.
I watched the suspension setup vid on the forum and have greatly improved the handling of the bike, not perfect but a lot better, being as heavy as I am any bike would struggle to handle for me, bit of a porker I am lol.