Akra baffle mod photos

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
hi all , has anybody got any photos of their akra baffle mods that they can post , interested to see the different ways people have modded it , cheers all

JT09

Reaction score
HI,

I have cut down all the external pipes but not the ones that come off the collar and go in the can. I noticed yo have drilled holes into your internal pipes. Doesn't this cause problems because where does the gas now go???????? The three internal pipes go into the can and form a seal with the pipes inside, a further seal is then made by the collar around the bore of the exit. So how does gas coming out of these holes not just get stuck somehere behind the collar????

I only ask because i was going to drill mine until I though it might just trap the gas between the collar and internal seal.

JT

Tracer kid

Reaction score
HI,

I have cut down all the external pipes but not the ones that come off the collar and go in the can. I noticed yo have drilled holes into your internal pipes. Doesn't this cause problems because where does the gas now go???????? The three internal pipes go into the can and form a seal with the pipes inside, a further seal is then made by the collar around the bore of the exit. So how does gas coming out of these holes not just get stuck somehere behind the collar????)

I only ask because i was going to drill mine until I though it might just trap the gas between the collar and internal seal.

JT
some off the gas goes from the downpipes straight out the holes.
Increases volume:)

JT09

Reaction score
oooooooooookay........... dude in my post I explain...... I know cutting holes etc etc etc will allow gas to escape. BUT escape where. The gas can't get out from there. That huge circle bit where the allen bolt goes, forms a seal with the exit of the can right............... Then the other side of the baffle slips in and forms a seal with the internals of the can............Meaning........ the gas that comes out of those holes can't go anywhere?????????? How can it get out when the huge "Circle bit where the allen bolt goes" is there blocking it??????????

alan_manic

Reaction score
oooooooooookay........... dude in my post I explain...... I know cutting holes etc etc etc will allow gas to escape. BUT escape where. The gas can't get out from there. That huge circle bit where the allen bolt goes, forms a seal with the exit of the can right............... Then the other side of the baffle slips in and forms a seal with the internals of the can............Meaning........ the gas that comes out of those holes can't go anywhere?????????? How can it get out when the huge "Circle bit where the allen bolt goes" is there blocking it??????????
I was thinking the same.

Tracer kid

Reaction score
HI,

I have cut down all the external pipes but not the ones that come off the collar and go in the can. I noticed yo have drilled holes into your internal pipes. Doesn't this cause problems because where does the gas now go???????? The three internal pipes go into the can and form a seal with the pipes inside, a further seal is then made by the collar around the bore of the exit. So how does gas coming out of these holes not just get stuck somehere behind the collar????

JT
What did cutting the external pipes off achieve ??

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
wow !!! I only wanted to see pictures of baffles modified , didn't want to start a war !!!! lol ;) JT09 did you cut the pipes off after the internal plate , the short flared pipes that fit over the internal non removable baffle ?? cheers .

JT09

Reaction score
wow !!! I only wanted to see pictures of baffles modified , didn't want to start a war !!!! lol ;) JT09 did you cut the pipes off after the internal plate , the short flared pipes that fit over the internal non removable baffle ?? cheers .
Hey dude. I cut the external pipes that protrude out the can, the three slash cut pipes up to the large circular shoulder. This shortens the lend of the baffle pipes without impacting on the internal seal to the main body. Gave it a slightly deeper and louder tone and looks better too I think, you now get the big bore look of the pipe without the three spindly pipes protruding. :)

M

MT account

i know exactly how it works cos i spent some time sussing it out a year ago but i cant be arsed to type it.

Tracer kid

Reaction score
One last attempt before I give up

This is looking into the exhaust box from the downpipes.
At the far end you can see the baffle screw hole.
The gases normally go thought the perforated tube into the 2nd chamber then into the 3 pipes followed by the baffle 3 pipes.
The holes allow the gas to pass straight out bypassing the perforated section which in turn bypasses the start of the 3 pipe section.
Result is not as loud as baffle removed but more bearable.

Boomer

Reaction score
Get an Akra Carbon exhaust.... more Kw and Torque gain per $$ spent.

The rest of the posts in this discussion are subjective. The Db killer for the Ti and Carbon are designed for a reason... to make it legal to ride on the streets for where you live.

Sure, any modification to the Db killer will change the appearance of the outlet, exhaust tone or its loudness just how you all have commented but, you have modified the item for what??

And, if you are pulled up by a copper having a bad day, and the bike is defected for noise, then you will have to put the original system back on or buy another Db killer to replace the one you modified to clear the defect and its cost.

Tracer kid

Reaction score
Akrapovic carbon will not fit the tracer due to center stand and is track use only due to noise.
I can cover the holes very easily so no cost involved in putting back to std.
Why did I do it ?
To increase volume due to my daily commute to work so I can be heard instead of seen because when they are eating/putting make up on and texting they don't bother looking.

Boomer

Reaction score
Well Tracer... the ORIGINAL POSTER who asked the question rides a MT09.... not the Tracer.

Akrapovic carbon will not fit the tracer due to center stand and is track use only due to noise.
Well you do have a center stand BTW.. the Carbon is for legalized for street use with the Db killer fitted in Australia... don't know about the UK.

I can cover the holes very easily so no cost involved in putting back to std.
Cover with what? 18 gauge S/S is not easy to work with.. I guess your a boiler maker with that comment.

Why did I do it ?
To increase volume due to my daily commute to work so I can be heard instead of seen because when they are eating/putting make up on and texting they don't bother looking.

Well if you want 'volume' and to be heard... leave the Db killer out.... wear ear plugs if its too loud for you... and you'll be heard.

Why do people buy expensive equipment then..... bastardize it beyond what it was bought for IDK.

Last edited: