Anyone have a Steering Damper installed?

Schultzy

Reaction score
Has anyone got a steering damper installed on this beast yet? If so how much did it cost?

I cant find too many available in Australia yet although GPR make one @ $US629 shipped to AU. It also raises the handlebars half an inch or more as new mounts are needed.

http://www.gprstabilizer.com/app_66_new_-_yamaha_fz09_kits

Would like to see/hear of any other options that are out there?

Twozup

Reaction score
I genuinely was thinking the other day that although the bike is mental not once did it shake it head and def doesn't need a damper!!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Schultzy

Reaction score
I've had it wiggle around after a wheelie or two. Generally it's alright though. I need to get some braided lines in first before considering a damper though :)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I genuinely was thinking the other day that although the bike is mental not once did it shake it head and def doesn't need a damper!!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
Mine shakes its head all over the place if I'm not going in a dead straight line when I'm givin it a massive fist full. It really does like to point its nose skyward and when ur fighting with that AND trying to get round cars on the road etc etc it all gets a bit mad.
Not gonna bother with the damper tho as I didn't have one on the GSR and that was just as mental, it also takes all the fun out of riding it. I do like being on that proverbial "edge"!

Yes I know I've just left myself open to a world of fraping but it was worth it lol

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Schultzy

Reaction score
Mine shakes its head all over the place if I'm not going in a dead straight line when I'm givin it a massive fist full. It really does like to point its nose skyward and when ur fighting with that AND trying to get round cars on the road etc etc it all gets a bit mad.
Not gonna bother with the damper tho as I didn't have one on the GSR and that was just as mental, it also takes all the fun out of riding it. I do like being on that proverbial "edge"!

Yes I know I've just left myself open to a world of fraping but it was worth it lol

Geting a bit late there to be on forums isnt it TT?

But yeah I agree and Ive been think about that - its an expensive mod and im not 100% sure I want to tame it down too much as thats half the fun...Ive had a few times where the front has moved all over the shop when giving it heaps/coming down from power wheelies so thought Id check out whats available.

My old R1 had a damper but without that itd be a nightmare to control. The steering on this is good enough to be able to compensate pretty easily.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Geting a bit late there to be on forums isnt it TT?

But yeah I agree and Ive been think about that - its an expensive mod and im not 100% sure I want to tame it down too much as thats half the fun...Ive had a few times where the front has moved all over the shop when giving it heaps/coming down from power wheelies so thought Id check out whats available.

My old R1 had a damper but without that itd be a nightmare to control. The steering on this is good enough to be able to compensate pretty easily.
Sleeping is sooo overrated these days lol.
Exactly wot I was saying.... It's too much fun to start messing with the steering. Just leave it be....lol

Twozup

Reaction score
Mine shakes its head all over the place if I'm not going in a dead straight line

I really have to disagree guys I've had maybe two serious tank slappers in my time both on the blade- not known for shaking it's head- and both on the same road between Largs and kilbirnie ( for the benefit of anyone that knows it and cares!) and I've deliberately pushed the yam along at the same bit (I'm fairly local to it) and also on really bumpy road just after the dukes pass at Brig O' Turk and can't say it was anything other than really well behaved. I was pushing on it wasn't just a Sunday drive haha

I remember (talking to myself as you don on a bike) thinking wow this bike is stable! (Apart from crap damping!!)

Maybe I'm just older and not as fast as I once thought I was :-D

Regardless- stay safe and keep it shiny side up rubber side down!

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Twozup

Reaction score
Obviously I'm riding as slow as my granny if that many people think this bike needs a damper...

But I still think you're all pussies!

:)

Click [HERE] then {HERE}

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Obviously I'm riding as slow as my granny if that many people think this bike needs a damper...

But I still think you're all pussies!

:)

Click [HERE] then {HERE}
To be far mine only shakes it's head when I'm giving it a rite fist full on a really shite road....! If I lean over the tank a tad (to keep the front end down)! it's usually ok xx