Auxiliary connector location

Stripy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This afternoon I had a further look around on the bike, and had noticed from the manual, that there is a live 12v auxiliary output on the bike, under right hand (fake) air intake cover, where also a set of fuses is placed.

At first, I thought it was the black square plug, but then observed too many wires - and further up behind, there is a small grey loose connector with a blind end on. It's not so easy to see, let alone get out... But now we know where to get power from :)
The fuse allows 2amps, so 24W in total. A USB charger only takes 5W.. So room for a set of heated grips, I can hope!

Anyway, took a few pics for you, so you can see it:)
image.jpg
image.jpg

Now I just need to locate a loose connector I can put on the end of my USB charger, so I can record videos for longer, or use my phone as a GPS.

Happy modding, and enjoy your weekend.

Seca Yamaha

Reaction score
Treasure hunt on the MT-09 you say?
Good find. Any info on the (possibly lacking) driver's manual?

Stripy

Reaction score
The standard manual, that comes with the bike.
By the sound of it, haven't anyone else got the manual together with the limited toolbag (which is ironically is too big for the under-seat compartment)?

Stripy

Reaction score
*snip*another winter without heated gloves, so this will be put to good use :)
Just have in mind, that the max current allowed is 2A, which I think now that is low for eg. heated grips, that often use 4-5A.
You can use the connection as the trigger for a relay though...

trevorleigh

Reaction score
That silly little tool kit, does actually clip on to the underside of the seat, there is even a strap for it in the toolbag

DNFDOUG

Reaction score
You can get the connector here.

OK, I did some searching and discovered that this is a .090 MT type connector. I was able to pick up a 2-pin connector (Set MT090-2 $5.05 each) from Cycle Terminal (Motorcycle MT .090 - Connector and Terminals) for around $8 shipped. I ended up connecting a 12V cigarette adaptor for my phone/gps that's switched and fused through the ignition. I suppose you could rig your own terminals but going this route provides an exact fit. Hopefully this info helps

Motorcycle MT .090 - Connector and Terminals

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score

SirBedevere

Reaction score
This was confusing. This guy explains which plug is for what, and how colours are not reliable. Apparently, on the LHS of the bike, the White plug is for heated handgrips, and the Grey plug is for 12v accessories.

woodie100

Reaction score
Hi Seca,

Yeah, it's documented in the manual, I think chapter 3, page 20.
Don’t think that’s correct, not unless I’m using the wrong Manual anyway. Interested in finding this to use as a switched live for my DLR s5872

SirBedevere

Reaction score
The correct page. This picture shows RHS of bike. It's a grey plug.

Last edited:

SirBedevere

Reaction score
This just in, the Australian 2016 MT09 is entirely different, possibly. So far as I can see, there's no additional Aux sockets on the Left side of the bike - only the air temperature sensor. What I can tell you, is that this sensor is on a 5V circuit, that is fused to the 2A circuit mentioned below.

The right side does have a 12V aux socket (grey socket on the left), that is on the ignition circuit, and runs through the 2A fuse mentioned above. Unfortunately there are no pins in the top of the connector, so you must buy these. I should have an excess soon if anyone in Australia wants a pair for the cost of a posted letter.

the cueball

Reaction score
That’s the same set up as UK bikes, they don’t come with the pins either.

As the manual states the grey bit is just the connector cap.

You need to get the corrects bits to turn it into a functional plug.

woodie100

Reaction score
Well I’m well confused now! I bought the plug specifically for the Tracer. I’ve got spot lights fitted on the crash bars but it’s not a switched live so if I forget there on till the battery dies or I switch them off. Looked today on the Right hand side by the fuses and typically no connector in sight! Didn’t have time to check the Left side but pretty sure people have said it’s the right side. Anyway here’s some pictures of the Missing Aux connection!

Attachments

JohnD

Reaction score
The AUX lead is powered by the ignition, on when ignition is on. Have you wired it correctly, the 09 is switched to power, not switched to earth.