Awaiting the purp

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Ordered the ABS version so looks like I'm not on the MT until Jan 2014.

Loved the test ride and the fact it's fast and/or frugal on the petrol. I've posted on the U.S. site my rather pleasant mpg figures :)

I've asked my local dealer to see if any other prospective buyers want to do a swap on wheels, the purple version has the gloss black and white pin stripe and I fancy the blue ones for the purple (to be awkward). Fingers crossed someone just might.

My trouble now is, when the bike arrives there's a fazer thou already in it's spot in the garage !

Stripy

Reaction score
Good choice, Marcus - oh and welcome btw :)

What's the price for the Blu wheels? ;)

Last edited:

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Wheels

Good choice, Marcus - oh and welcome btw :)

What's the price for the Blu wheels? ;)
I don't know how much a set is, sure would like to get them on a freebie swap though.
Another question is do they all come on Dunlop tyres ? I'm not a fan but I must say when I took the demo out for the day the roads were wet and muddy and they never let go once, as for their life ???? The other demo bike was out front and the rear tyre looked shot already so I doubt they are good for big miles.

stevecbr

Reaction score
The demo bike I rode and the one I bought both had Bridgestone S20. Another one on the dealer shop floor had dunlops.
I dont think the dunlops on mine will last to long, its to early to say as I have only done 400 miles, but they are showing signs of wear on the edges, and I guess they will last 3500-4000 miles max.
I will replace with the Bridgestone BT023's or newer Bridgestone T30's (I had the BT023's on my FZ and they were great, handled brilliant, and wore really well, over 5000 miles)

marcusfordus

Reaction score
My current Fazer 1000 has the 023's on. I don't know their age, but the front tyre has started to "step" on the blocks which has ruined the handling. I had the same problem on 020's too.

I think the problem is late heavy braking such as you have to do on city riding where idiots make the most stupid of manoeuvers at the last second and give to nowhere to avoid them. It's heavy on the front brake and haul it up sharpish or crash into them. No matter how much forward riding planning you do these plonkers will catch you out. Crash and it's a set of forks, heavy on the brakes = short life front tyre.

SlanGlad

Reaction score
The MT-09/FZ-09 can come either with Dunlop or Bridgestone tyres. Mine came with the Bridgestone S20, which according to a lot of people are slightly better.
However, when time will come to change them, I'll probably opt for the Michelin Pilot Road 2. Tyres are the most important parts of a bike!

Stripy

Reaction score
.....I'll probably opt for the Michelin Pilot Road 2.
Why not the PR3's?they are newer, have more mileage and really good grip in the wet.
Had them on my Ducati Multistrada 1200, and after 3.5k miles you could only just start see the wear.
I'd estimate, that on the Multi's 150bhp setup, they'd last at least 8-9k miles on the rear, depending on your behaviour...

I think I'm sure that they will be my next set of rubber - the current Dunlop's don't seem to last long... Ahem.. :)

Stripy

Reaction score
My current Fazer 1000 has the 023's on. I don't know their age, but the front tyre has started to "step" on the blocks which has ruined the handling.
... Tis is also called "heel and toe syndrome". Can be caused by many thing - hard riding style being one of them.
By the hounds of it, it sounds like you're not using the rear brake much?

Before I explain why, I need to give a comment on front suspension. It needs to be set up for you correctly, so it's not being bottomed out during an emergency.

If the suspension is not able to absorb it all, there is only one flexible thing left to do the work - the tyre.

If you use your rear brake as well, and hopefully just a nano second before applying the front brake, your bike will set the rear down first, lowering the gravity center point and with that a shift in the weight loads - and also preloaded the forks, so you have max grip on front as well.
Next to that, it is important to have correct air pressure in the tyre.
Finally - age/mileage and pattern in tyre have all a word to say as well for this phenomenon to occur.
When you check your tyres, let a hand slide over them, and you'll instantly be able to feel it.
If so - time to change.