Baffles out

bikergirl400

Reaction score
Bloody hell it's loud!! I tried to sneak off to work this morning but it wasn't happening, pops like a gooden! Felt like Moses though, the traffic parted before my eyes!!!

Highly recommend the Akrapovic with baffles out just for giggles! :)

M

MT account

i like to play concertos in the mountains with mine.......
[video=youtube;o8P-UZ1v-Gc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8P-UZ1v-Gc[/video]

Swagger

Reaction score
You'll be popular. Not!

I had mine removed from the get go ... I get disapproving looks, some of seemingly pure hatred, wherever I go. All of my bikes are run with loud exhausts but I don't recall any that have constantly gotten the attention of pedestrians. I had a look at slipping the baffle in yesterday to see how much difference it made. Hmmm that's tricky ... I spent half an hour fiddling and had no success. Is there a knack to this?

misscrabstick

Reaction score
I keep mine in my Akra, I live in a cul de sac and to be honest it's a little bit telegraph reader and write a letter to the council and get me asbo'd, son already makes enough noise on his xt660 with no baffle arrows, although he wont be making any noise at all until his arm heals.

flydnb

Reaction score
Fuck the neighbours , actually the bloke next to me is a car enthusiast old cars and his son rides an R1 so he doesn't give a shit, and most of my neighbours wave smiling normally so cant be a problem , I don't rev it all the time though I just bimble out of my road then give it the beans .

fizzy

Reaction score
Fuck the neighbours , actually the bloke next to me is a car enthusiast old cars and his son rides an R1 so he doesn't give a shit, and most of my neighbours wave smiling normally so cant be a problem , I don't rev it all the time though I just bimble out of my road then give it the beans .

All my neighbours know it's my street anyway so I don't get any hassle:cool:

loneranger

Reaction score
i cut mine down internally so pretty loud from the start. Had it for 300 miles now. Ive taken th baffle out this morning. Sunday! Gonna start it up at 9am. GULP! Let you guys know if any curtain open up. HAHAHAHA

Deadhead

Reaction score
Picked the bike up, road it home, took the baffle out. It's somewhere in the shed gathering dust now.
I also live in a quiet cul de sac, leaving for working around 8:15am....I try to be respectful and keep the rev as low as possible while I'm riding through neighboring streets.
Have to say the akra with baffle out doesn't really do quite so well :eek:

Kenny Hannah

Reaction score
May be a silly question but does the standard exhaust have a removable baffle or just the Akra?

JT09

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

This is a god topic for me to chip in on. I have a Akra Titanium system. I had the baffle out for the first week I owned in and can honestly say that the noise is seriously loud. I mean I LOVE a noisy can more than the next guy but I simply couldn't deal with the bass from the can. On the overrun as you shut the throttle it just booms inside your helmet and at one point it started to get annoying. I stuck the baffle back in and then it just sounded like the stock can. Hmmmmmmmm I need some kind of in-between sound.

Soooooooo I pulled the baffle back out and cut all the external pipesoff from the shoulder onwards. Im talking about the three pipes that protrude outwards from the inside of the can. I didn't want to mess with the internal baffle pipes as it might disrupt the gas flow too much.

By the way if you want to get the baffle in and out easy, its worth cutting slots into the internal pipes and bending them out slightly with some pliers. My baffle now slots in and out with ease. Anyway I now keep the baffle permenantly fitted and it not only looks a ton better but gives a far nicer sound. Obviously it's not as loud as the can with the baffle out but it seems to give a nice compromise. AND it pops and flames a bit more which is aaaaaaccccccceeeeeee.

Will post some picutres up if anyone is interested when I get a moment.

JT

Swagger

Reaction score
... By the way if you want to get the baffle in and out easy, its worth cutting slots into the internal pipes and bending them out slightly with some pliers ...
That's what I was after. I started to mod mine yesterday ... single short slot and flared slightly.

Swagger

Reaction score
This is getting tiring now. I used a 22mm mandrel to get the baffle connecting pipes back to round. I guess the dealer distorted them when he initially removed the baffle. Put the baffle back in for a test fit ... it lined up nicely ... gave it a few whacks with a soft hammer and it went in sweetly. Trouble is it now won't come out ... won't budge, not even a suggestion of movement. How the hell do the dealers get them out? The inner ring on mine which lines up the three pipes was deformed where it had been knocked out. Do they stick something long through the silencer and tap it out from inside?

I THINK I MAY HAVE ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION. IT LOOKS LIKE I NEED TO REMOVE THE MUFFLER AND KNOCK OUT THE BAFFLE. GRRRR!

Last edited:

JT09

Reaction score
Yeah buddy. Get the can off and tap it out from the other side.

Take your time as we all know how much these pieps cost, THEN as above it tis worth cutting some slots into the connecting three pipe of the baffle and flaring the out with some plIers. I also took some emery paper wrapped it round a screw driver and lightly sanded the inside of the connecting pipes also. Mine slots in and out with complete ease. Cut multiple slots and flare quite some way out.

Run the engine so it gets hot then let it sit and cool down. When the Exhaust is warm to touch the baffle is easier to pull out. I also have WD40 quick release spray that I also squirted down the tubes the first few time too.

JT

Last edited:

carsicchris

Reaction score
Baffles

Agree with JT 09 ,akra sounds awesome with the 3 pipes cut from inside the baffle. Just cut about half inch off and put baffle back in. simples.:cool:

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
has anybody got any photos of all these baffle mods , I'm loving the sound of no baffles but the tone is playing havoc with my tinnitus !!!!!!

Swagger

Reaction score
I've now used mine three time with the baffles in. I've decided they're staying in. The bike seems to like it better ... mileage improved. The pipe still sounds nice once you get it into its zone.

Swagger

Reaction score
Being the fickle f*ck that I am ... I decided I wanted the baffles back out. So I thought how the hell am I gonna remove it having just whacked them back in. I didn't want to remove the muffler and go in from the back. Then it came to me ... use a bearing extractor. Luckily, I have a shit load of special tools including a blind bearing puller. Long story short ... the unit to pull a 20mm bearing fits perfectly into one of the three outlets ... Pop it in ... slip on the slide hammer ... whack, whack and its out. Brilliant.

Ricbus

Reaction score
I tried getting the insert out this weekend by removing the can from the bike. I couldn't get any of my tools to unscrew the bolt for the baffle though. Any one know the exact tool needed? Is it in US measures?