Battery discharging

Fruitfarmer231

Reaction score
I bought this 2015 FZ-09 used, lightly and experienced some battery discharging issues. I have added a couple of things, a battery tender, acces cord, and a accesory plug in terminal to accept the power cord for my GPS, these are both plugged into the battery directly. I have installed a new battery, but it will lose sufficient charge over a 7-10 period, that it won't start . Just get the solenoid chatter. I have disconnected the ground contact to the battery placed a mult-tester in series, but cannot detect any kind of current flow at all. I have two other bikes, a 2011 Kawasaki Versys and a 2015 Yamaha WR250F, both of which don't have this issue. Any ideas?

Fruitfarmer231

Reaction score
Not sure what you are talking about, outlet sockets? These even connected do not reflect any current drain when I connect the multi-meter between the battery negative and ground cable.

Littlebruv

Reaction score
I bought this 2015 FZ-09 used, lightly and experienced some battery discharging issues. I have added a couple of things, a battery tender, acces cord, and a accesory plug in terminal to accept the power cord for my GPS, these are both plugged into the battery directly. I have installed a new battery, but it will lose sufficient charge over a 7-10 period, that it won't start . Just get the solenoid chatter. I have disconnected the ground contact to the battery placed a mult-tester in series, but cannot detect any kind of current flow at all. I have two other bikes, a 2011 Kawasaki Versys and a 2015 Yamaha WR250F, both of which don't have this issue. Any ideas?
Why not take out all the non-essential accessories so the electrics on the bike are back to basic and then see what happens

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Not sure what you are talking about, outlet sockets? These even connected do not reflect any current drain when I connect the multi-meter between the battery negative and ground cable.
He means the items you've wired direct to the battery.

As LittleBruv says, it could be one of these is causing a problem and you need to isolate where the problem is.

To get to the bottom you need to go back to how the bike was before you had the problem, so remove what you've added (just disconnect from battery) and see if you still have a problem. If it's solved you know one of these is the issue. Even though you've not measured battery drain, it's obviously happening, so you need to find out where. The other option is you have bought a duff battery, unlikely but you never know.

Either way, using a relay to wire items to the battery is the best way to approach these things, then there's no risk of battery drain while the ignition is off.

JohnD

Reaction score
If the GPS is permanently connected, it will use a small trickle of power. Could be a problem over time. This is why I suggested to use the accessory plugs that are switched with the ignition.

JohnB

Reaction score
If the accessory socket for your GPS contains a 12V-to-5Volt converter, it is this that is draining the battery. DAMHIK.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
If the accessory socket for your GPS contains a 12V-to-5Volt converter, it is this that is draining the battery. DAMHIK.

This will almost certainly be the case, as most sat navs are wired for USB attachment to PC's for software updates etc. As mentioned, use one of the existing sockets that are wired through the ignition, or fit a relay to the existing wiring you've put in.