Best and Worst MPG from your bike?

flydnb

Reaction score
If people are worried about fuel usage buy a Honda nc750 with 50 bhp and 80 mpg .

loneranger

Reaction score
i do 49mpg in London commuting mode A. set c02 to 14 on 3 cylinders with akra fitted and cut baffle. I only ride in B mode when i'm on my mobile......

r3uben

Reaction score
Sorry to revive such an old thread...
Anyway - I picked up an MT09 three weeks ago. On the first tank of fuel, I was riding fairly gingerly and as the tank wasn't completely full when I bought the bike, I couldn't get an accurate MPG reading.

The subsequent tanks however, whilst I admit have been suffering from a bit of rear wheel syndrome in A mode - have only been managing a 90-95 mile tank (averaging 36UK MPG or 30US MPG). This sounds drastically low? The bike runs / starts absolutely fine, no symptoms of running rich. Does this sound right for 'spirited' riding?

Thanks

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
(averaging 36UK MPG or 30US MPG). This sounds drastically low? The bike runs / starts absolutely fine, no symptoms of running rich. Does this sound right for 'spirited' riding?
That does sound very low. I have the Tracer so longer tank range of course, but that shouldn't be any different for the mpg. I easily get over 50mpg whatever way I ride it. It's one of the things I like about these engines, very economical even when going for it.

Is that when you properly calculate it from the miles between a brimmed tank rather than the ECU's estimated MPG?

I even get over 40mpg from my old ZRX1100 which is a really thirsty bike, so I'd definitely be looking into why yours is so low. One thing that can affect fuel economy is a blocked air filter, so if it hasn't had a service for a while might be worth checking.

r3uben

Reaction score
Is that when you properly calculate it from the miles between a brimmed tank rather than the ECU's estimated MPG?
I am using an Android app 'Fuelio' that I've been using for all my vehicles for years. It calculates based on the increase in ODO count against litres put in the bike. The on-board computer reads a little higher (42UK MPG 35US MPG) but from what I have read, this always reads higher.

The air filter is a relatively fresh K&N. The previous owner had the ECU tuned to run with this filter and the Akrapovic full exhaust system.

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
The remap is probably the "problem" then.

K&N and Akra means a higher airflow, so fuel is ramped up to match. I still wouldn't have expected MPG to drop that low though.

Unclemicky

Reaction score
Just got my 69 reg Tracer a week ago so running it in , and if the figures on the dash are to be believed I'm getting 65 mpg , got to admit I'm really taking it easy ;-)

Otters Pocket

Reaction score
Don't take it too easy - with running in it's important not to go over the revs they specify, but you still need to give it some welly now and again to get the rings to seat. Also don't stay in one gear (like on motorways etc), but move through the gears all the time as the whole lot is being run in, not just the engine.

Sorry if this is sucking eggs :)

kev

Reaction score
52mpg riding hard, lot of twisty roads, some sticking to speed limits, 62mpg same roads just taking it a bit steadier.

Ballon

Reaction score
Just returned from a trip to Luxembourg, 930 miles in total. SW Motech panniers and top box, so not going to win any wind tunnel prizes for aerodynamics! Also I have a Puig touring screen and I'm 6'2" and 93kg. 59 mpg which in my world is pretty good. It bodes well for the round France trip next year, circa 2,500 - 3,000 miles.

johnakay

Reaction score
I ride two up all the time me and my missus.
I average between 50/55 mpg on my tracer 900.
unfortunately I'm finding this bike a bit heavy for me now.
riding it no problem but trying to turn the bike round on uk country roads and pushing it out of my garage is starting to be a handle.
must be the age thing. I'll be 70 next year so I'm considering an MT09.
I'll ask some questions later.

this isn't the kind of bike u buy if ur "worried" about mpg .
this all depend what you want to use the bike for.
riding in scotland can be a bit dodgy even in the yorkshire dales with garages being few and far between.
so getting 90/100 miles on a tankful isn't much cop.
I would need at least 120/ 130 before light start flashing.
having a 14 ltr tank doesn't help if your hammering it.