Braided Lines for ABS version.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully installed new lines for abs version... It mentions in some posts that it's the same as non abs, but according Goodridge there are 5 pipes, £138.... 3 front 2 rear.

Have checked on mine, the front loops from the resovoir to the ABS controller, then to 1st caliper then loops over to the 2nd. So that's 3 on the front.

On the rear I'm not sure as there's one that goes from caliper to brake lever, then to resovoir, and up under seat....and a return...

Help anyone

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hell were asking if anyone wanted to offer their bike as a donor so they cud fit new ABS lines to it and in return u got a very healthy lump knocked off the price.....

I believe there are loads of lines needed on the ABS model as there's a lot of them tucked away under the seat/frame etc

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
I'm interested in braided lines but haven't seen any so far. It's as smurf says there are more lines than the non-ABS version.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Cheers TT... Here's a quick pic...

image.jpg

The pipe from rear caliper goes to double union (see 2 metal pipes in centre), the metal pipes loop up under seat, possibly to controller, then back down to union.. Then rubber pipe to pedal... I hope pic comes through ok

So according to Goodridges spec from Yamaha, the rear will need a line from caliper to "Union", then the "Union" to pedal

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cheers TT... Here's a quick pic...

View attachment 1979

The pipe from rear caliper goes to double union (see 2 metal pipes in centre), the metal pipes loop up under seat, possibly to controller, then back down to union.. Then rubber pipe to pedal... I hope pic comes through ok

So according to Goodridges spec from Yamaha, the rear will need a line from caliper to "Union", then the "Union" to pedal
I believe there are a few more needed but I will confirm when I get into work tomorrow exactly how many u need in total

Last edited:

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
The metal pipes won't need replacing, just the rubber hoses... Which in 'theory' should complete the circuit...

But the gender changes, one end is Banjo, the other is screw in (like on car brake cylinder).... The plot thickens..

Look forward to ur comments TT once you get your eyes over one.

Locksmith

Reaction score
Hel want to borrow a bike and still charge some?
No wonder they still don't list an abs kit!

marcusfordus

Reaction score
Does the ABS unit open itself for bleeding of the whole system when the new hoses have been fitted?

kannringen

Reaction score
I think that it wouldn't be q problem bleeding the abs model without any hi-tech diagnosis tools. Just bleed as normal and then force the abs to work and then bleed some more just in case.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
I think there's also a bleed nipple on the ABS unit to remove air from there, something I read......... See below

Access the motorcycle's fuse box and ABS control module to activate the ABS pump. Push the plastic hose over the ABS control module bleed nozzle and place the free end of the hose into a plastic bottle. Turn the nozzle counterclockwise a quarter-turn with the wrench and observe the brake fluid that is being pumped into the hose from the ABS control module. Turn the nozzle clockwise once the brake fluid is free of air bubbles.

Deactivate the ABS control module and remove the plastic hose. Wipe away any spilled brake fluid, using a shop towel.

Read more : How to Bleed the Front ABS Brakes on a Motorcycle | eHow

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think there's also a bleed nipple on the ABS unit to remove air from there, something I read......... See below

Access the motorcycle's fuse box and ABS control module to activate the ABS pump. Push the plastic hose over the ABS control module bleed nozzle and place the free end of the hose into a plastic bottle. Turn the nozzle counterclockwise a quarter-turn with the wrench and observe the brake fluid that is being pumped into the hose from the ABS control module. Turn the nozzle clockwise once the brake fluid is free of air bubbles.

Deactivate the ABS control module and remove the plastic hose. Wipe away any spilled brake fluid, using a shop towel.

Read more : How to Bleed the Front ABS Brakes on a Motorcycle | eHow
That's exactly how it's done bud...
It's just as easy as non ABS systems...

M

MT account

the main reason hose makers dont do an ABS version is they dont have a fitting where the rubber hoses go in/out of. its a square block female 10mmx1mm thread. the 2 square block ends sit against each other in a clamp with a bolt running through them to keep them in place.
i know this cos it was a real ballache trying to reuse the ABS on my ER6 when i put a ZX10 front end in it. i got round it in the end by using custom car fittings but it doesnt look as tidy as stock plus you need to fix them in place to stop a vibration fracture of the metal pipe the other side of the flexible hose.
i bled mine without messing with the abs unit.
imagemm.jpg
002.jpg
20140111_171742.jpg

M

MT account

i could tell you who (eventually) supplied the fittings but they offered me no help at all and quite frankly, could do with taking their heads out their asses....................

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, Goodridge apparently have them, to yam spec... So assuming that all fittings are correct, it will be something I'll be revisiting over the coming weeks...... (I'm buggering off for a couple of weeks, gotta leave bike.... No room on plane)..

If any of u guys find anymore info about this, then please post here... I'm sure there's a small army that would luv to know more...

I have emailed Hel, will wait their email....

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Hell were asking if anyone wanted to offer their bike as a donor so they cud fit new ABS lines to it and in return u got a very healthy lump knocked off the price.....

I believe there are loads of lines needed on the ABS model as there's a lot of them tucked away under the seat/frame etc

Your right TT, Hel responded to an email, they will make me a pair FOC if they can have the set off the bike. Thinking about it, but I'm about to board a plane soon and don't have time to strip existing ones off.

If they are in the same boat when I get back then I'll give them a bell. So if anyone wants a free r & d set then jump at it.

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Here's an update:

Hel Performance are about to make available on line the ABS version of braided lines.. They've had the propa yam pattern and are about to go into production...

Gaz2212

Reaction score
Hi guys, just reading through your forum, I have a 07 and hel made me some brake lines foc for patterns, if the abs system on the 09 is the same there is 8 braided lines in the full kit
Front master cylinder goes to the abs pump, from the abs pump to the left caliper, there is then a small line that connects to a rigid line over the top of the mudguard from this rigid to the right caliper
Rear master cylinder has a flexi that connects to a rigid pipe, this rigid runs up to the abs pump, at the end of this rigid it connects to the abs pump on a small flexi line. Out of the abs pump on another small flexi which then connects to the second rigid pipe returning to the rear brake pedal area, at the end of this rigid the last flexi connects here and runs out to the rear caliper
As for bleeding I drew the fluid back to the nipples using a syringe to create a vacuum, once I had fluid flowing through the nipple I then bled the brakes in the normal way
Hopes this helps

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
Here's an update:

Hel Performance are about to make available on line the ABS version of braided lines.. They've had the propa yam pattern and are about to go into production...
This is excellent news! I've been waiting for someone to make them. Finally :)

FreakyFreak

FreakyFreak

Reaction score
Hi guys, just reading through your forum, I have a 07 and hel made me some brake lines foc for patterns, if the abs system on the 09 is the same there is 8 braided lines in the full kit
Front master cylinder goes to the abs pump, from the abs pump to the left caliper, there is then a small line that connects to a rigid line over the top of the mudguard from this rigid to the right caliper
Rear master cylinder has a flexi that connects to a rigid pipe, this rigid runs up to the abs pump, at the end of this rigid it connects to the abs pump on a small flexi line. Out of the abs pump on another small flexi which then connects to the second rigid pipe returning to the rear brake pedal area, at the end of this rigid the last flexi connects here and runs out to the rear caliper
As for bleeding I drew the fluid back to the nipples using a syringe to create a vacuum, once I had fluid flowing through the nipple I then bled the brakes in the normal way
Hopes this helps
Didn't you need to prime the ABS system?

FreakyFreak

Gaz2212

Reaction score
Didn't you need to prime the ABS system?

FreakyFreak
Sorry forgot to say, all I did to fill abs pump, run for a few meters and jump on the brakes hard to use the abs, this then pumped more fluid through, checked levels and bled the brakes again. To fully make sure brakes were completely out of air I cable tied the front brake on hard with the master cylinder reservoir loosened slightly, weighted the rear brake lever down with reservoir cap loosened, I left this overnight came back next day and I now have solid lever and pedal, works perfect