Brake lever feel at the bar

Unfazed

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, what should the brake lever feel at the bar be like, I had a VFR1200 and the front brake lever was rock solid and excellent braking. I can get my Tracer lever pulled back to the grip. Wondering if this is normal? I should have thought that with a new bike it should be pretty solid once you start to pull it in....

stevecbr

Reaction score
Shouldnt pull to the bar lever! Remember the lever has span adjustment, is it set on the smallest setting.
If your previous bike has braided brake lines, they have a lot less give than standard rubber hoses, resulting in standard hoses feeling more spongy in comparison

bobh

Reaction score
That doesn't sound right, and in fact it would be an MoT failure. If you bought it from a dealer, take it back immediately and get it sorted.

If a private sale, get it bled pronto. Though first you could try tying the lever back to the bar overnight, which may get rid of the worst of any air if it's in the master cylinder.

Unfazed

Reaction score
Soooo, after going to the dealers, and another bike shop to check their brake lever feel on MT-09, 07 and Tracers, apparently they all do that sir... all could be pulled back to the grip.

I'll sleep easier now

Shaun64

Reaction score
Have you checked your lever setting like steve cbr said? As I am guessing it's that,Ive after market levers on and at the nearest setting I can almost get the lever back to the grip,to adjust the lever just spin the numbered wheel untill you see the lever move away from the bar, do your brakes work well when you perform a emergency stop?.

Unfazed

Reaction score
Think I'm on No. 3, will check again. Not done an emergency stop yet! will do a bit of braking practice with the ABS. The only time the ABS chimed in on the Honda was a sharp pull up in the wet going through London, I thought, what's that noise!