Brake reservoir relocation

Fletch

Reaction score
I've decided to replace and relocate the rear brake fluid reservoir 'cos the original looks as ugly as sin IMHO :p

image.jpg

image.jpg

Question is, can I mix Dot4 synthetic with the existing fluid (if there's owt left of it by the time I've finished re-plumbing!) and what works best (read: cheap and effective) for bleeding?

Cheers :cool:

bobh

Reaction score
I'd say don't mix the fluids. If you want to switch to synthetic, I'd have thought you really need to flush the system out, which really means stripping down the master and slave cylinders (and the ABS unit, if you have one) to do a proper job. Unless you're racing, I think the only real advantage of synthetic is that you don't need to change it so often because it doesn't absorb water.

If you don't have ABS it should be easy enough to bleed. But if you have I'd be concerned that the lower location of the reservoir might make bleeding difficult, with the ABS gubbins being quite high up under the seat. But I've never bled the MT brakes, so I might be completely wrong!

Fletch

Reaction score
After a bit of research it seems all brake fluid is technically 'synthetic' or man-made rather than petroleum based.

Mixing silicone-based with glycol-based fluid is the thing to avoid - with consequences similar to mixing socks with sandals apparently!