Busted Engine

relz

Reaction score
I was taking my bike out for a spin, a couple of days ago, when suddenly there was a strange grinding :eek: sound and the engine cut off.
Immediately I pulled over with the bike is steaming up from burned oil, which leaked over the hot exhaust pipes.

I had no idea what went wrong, and where that oil came from. I did not try to crank the engine since then. With the help of a neighbor we got the bike towed back to my garage, I plan to start taking it apart later on tonight or tomorrow, in order to try find the cause. If it's something externally obvious (some kind of burst pipe or gasket) I'll try to replace the part myself, but if I suspect it's something more internal inside the engine I'll be forced to take it to a proper mechanic as unfortunately I'm not equipped to open up engines (I work outside in a windy/dusty environment).

What a bummer! :(

I've attached a few pics, to show what it looked like. Any ideas/suggestions as to what may have gone wrong will be happily accepted.

Later on that evening I had time to clean the engine and have a look... I found the problem, and unfortunately it took me only one minute to see it.

Can you see the problem too?

I have no idea what caused it, it seems to have happened from the inside-out.

I'm bike-less now for an indefinite amount of time, not to mention quite a few thousand $$ poorer. Arrrrghhhh!!!! :sorrow:

Anyone know of an engine for sale, which is in good condition and priced fairly?

Last edited:

relz

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much the engine weighs, and it's outer dimensions?
I'm trying to calculate shipping cost will be...

donut

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much the engine weighs, and it's outer dimensions?
I'm trying to calculate shipping cost will be...
Sorry to hear/see your problem.

No idea of the dimensions or weight of the engine but may be worth contacting either Yamaha and/or your local dealer and see if thet are able to tell you.

relz

Reaction score
Actually I think it's easiest to just contact one of the Ebay seller. They're sure to know the shipping parameters.

relz

Reaction score
That's what id like to know too

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

stevecbr

Reaction score
Looks ominous. I initially thought it was the oil cooler has failed (the large silver thing with pipes running from it), as a few people have reported them going, but as you say something has clearly smashed the casings. It looks like the area smashed is fairly well protected from flying stones, so it pointing towards a major failure in the engine. Were there any warning signs, ie vibrations or rumblings, or were you riding a road with loose gravel that could have flung up?

relz

Reaction score
Looks ominous. I initially thought it was the oil cooler has failed (the large silver thing with pipes running from it), as a few people have reported them going, but as you say something has clearly smashed the casings. It looks like the area smashed is fairly well protected from flying stones, so it pointing towards a major failure in the engine. Were there any warning signs, ie vibrations or rumblings, or were you riding a road with loose gravel that could have flung up?
No warning signs, and a smooth road.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Tempest

Reaction score
Thats from the inside out. I recon a con rod has broken and poked a hole, or perhaps and big end shell. I've seen it many times on bikes before. Now why did the rod /shell break.....That I cant say.

Darrel

Kinjane

Reaction score
Possibly but more likely a con rod bolt. A flying object can only punch its exit wound out once, a rotational object gets a chance every time it comes round the bend :mad:

highlander

Reaction score
I hope you can get this fixed by Yamaha for free - warranty period or not, pieces coming loose inside the the engine is a manufacturing or servicing fault.

Was it serviced exclusively by a Yamaha dealer to date?

Tracer Dave

Reaction score
I hope you can get this fixed by Yamaha for free - warranty period or not, pieces coming loose inside the the engine is a manufacturing or servicing fault.

Was it serviced exclusively by a Yamaha dealer to date?
Purely Manufacturing fault, if the oil and filter was changed at the proper service intervals.

highlander

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking they could only blame a bad oil change by a third party, that's why I was asking if Yamaha had done all oil changes

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

relz

Reaction score
Following my letter (and a post in a very public forum in Israel) I got a phone call from the local head Yamaha dealer the other day.
Although the bike is not under warranty they offered to inspect my engine, free of charge. If they find the problem to be a manufacturing defect, they'll approach Yamaha on my behalf and request a fix.
If it turns out not to be a manufacturing defect, then the fix will be on me, of course.

That seems to be fair enough to me. Couldn't have expected for more. Just got to pray that they find a defect now

So next week I'll take my bike in and hopefully shortly afterwards we'll have an answer to this puzzle.

highlander

Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you. It's encouraging that the dealer got in touch & made that offer. Very good customer service.

robin

Reaction score
I'd take it back to the dealer to investigate, even if out of guarantee. Yamaha may replace it FOC.
You can only ask. Maybe get there man to come and look at it.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I'd take it back to the dealer to investigate, even if out of guarantee. Yamaha may replace it FOC.
You can only ask. Maybe get there man to come and look at it.
Read post #14...

Sent from my iPhone 

relz

Reaction score
Gave my bike in to the dealer today, now it's praying time :)