Cam chain tensioner pics...

Birdy

Reaction score
Nice find Rip . Do they just replace tensioner bolt then ? Looks a fair bit of work to replace the blade

RipGroove

Reaction score
Nice find Rip . Do they just replace tensioner bolt then ? Looks a fair bit of work to replace the blade
I would have thought its just the bolt/spring assembly but not 100% sure now your mention it. As far as I can work out the bolt and spring are wound in and locked so if the bolt becomes unlocked and unwinds with vibration then the spring looses tension and everything gets rattly. To me a simple fix would be stopping the bolt from coming unlocked, so I would assume its just the outer piece that would need revising.

Sent from outer space

RipGroove

Reaction score
While on the subject does anyone know what torque the tensioner "should" be done up to? I'm assuming at the factory it would have been tourqed up on the assembly line as doing each one by feel while the engine is running wouldn't be cost effective at all.

Sent from outer space

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would have thought its just the bolt/spring assembly but not 100% sure now your mention it. As far as I can work out the bolt and spring are wound in and locked so if the bolt becomes unlocked and unwinds with vibration then the spring looses tension and everything gets rattly. To me a simple fix would be stopping the bolt from coming unlocked, so I would assume its just the outer piece that would need revising.

Sent from outer space
It is just the outer part and the bolt down to the blade that is replaced...

misscrabstick

Reaction score
It is the same torque as braedan had posted

MT-09 Wheelie Wheelie mental.....!

Facebook:-
www.facebook.com/spudrees
the way i read that is they are the torques for the tensioner mount bolts and the 10mm head bolt in the middle, none of these will adjust the tensioner, the adjustment is to do with the little hex bolt inside that you access through the hole of the 10mm bolt when it has been removed, I was just wondering what Yamaha say officially to their techs as to the correct procedure to adjust the tensioner to stop rattling if they dont replace it.

RipGroove

Reaction score
I think we could do with a video on installing and adjust the tensioner.

Sent from outer space

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Booked in for a week tomorrow for a new tensioner, mines not horrible yet, just noisey until it's warmed right up, kind of a clicking/clacking noise.

An issue like this at 300 miles worries me, did they do any durability testing on this engine before release? what's next? going by the whining gearbox maybe I will get a 5th gear pinion to the head when the box explodes as I give it some bully beef down the A249!

Cypher

Reaction score
Booked in for a week tomorrow for a new tensioner, mines not horrible yet, just noisey until it's warmed right up, kind of a clicking/clacking noise.

An issue like this at 300 miles worries me, did they do any durability testing on this engine before release? what's next? going by the whining gearbox maybe I will get a 5th gear pinion to the head when the box explodes as I give it some bully beef down the A249!
Funny you mention gearbox noises. Not being a mechanic I'm not quite sure, but I have a bad suspicion that something might(!) be wrong with it.

As everyone probably knows by now I've had the camchain fixed twice and come back both times. Now I have the revised tensioner installed but not long before it got done I started noticing some weird feeling (and muted noise) coming from the gearbox side of the engine. I'm saying feeling because I started feeling some weird vibrations while riding. I hope it's not that but it feels like there's rough metal grinding against another piece of metal. Another way of "explaining" it would be - try and imagine as if there was sand stuck underneath the throttle handle. When you turn it you get this uneven trrtrrtrr feeling :)

I had the tensioner installed almost two weeks ago and as soon I left the dealership I could hear there was some quiet noise coming from the left side of the engine. I went back, asked them to check and they couldn't hear anything. Rode away and could hear it even more. Went back again but of course no one could hear anything so we decided I'd keep an eye on it and see how it goes. In all honesty, I really don't like the feeling I'm getting from the engine. It's not as buttery smooth as it was when I got it and not having owned any other big bikes I don't really know what to think... Sucks to be me :D

RipGroove

Reaction score
Might be worth dropping the oil out to see if there's any shiny bits of metal in it. Obviously any sign of metal ia good enough reason to get the dealer to look at it asap.

Sent from outer space