Catalytic Converter - What's to stop you removing it?

Spot

Reaction score
I know "legally" in the UK we are required to run the bike with a cat, but if you were to remove it and have fuelling adjusted who would know or care?
Is it something that could be picked up at the first MOT or would you be able to get away with it?

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Well with cars if you take it off you will fail the mot because your co output will be too high, I don't know what the angle is on bikes, I have never seen anyone emission test my bikes, I will ask the mot man on Friday as I have a test booked for my zx6R.

Spot

Reaction score
Well with cars if you take it off you will fail the mot because your co output will be too high, I don't know what the angle is on bikes, I have never seen anyone emission test my bikes, I will ask the mot man on Friday as I have a test booked for my zx6R.
Many thanks! I'll be most interested to hear the verdict.
I just did a quick google and all the info I can find (including here on the gov website) indicates emissions checks are not currently performed.
So i'm trying to find a really good reason why I shouldn't just whip it out.......

M

MT account

i decatted my street t. just welded a pipe where the cat was. on some pipes you can gut the cat out of the pipe so it still looks stock on external inspection. a big hammer and a chisel does the job or a good old day on the dremmel for those that like to be gentle.
thats what most people do with the diesel particulate filters on cars and trucks..........but without the dremmel.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
In Greece we have to pass all our vehicles from technical control 4 years after the first day on the streeet and then every 2 years.
So when i'd been in Technical Control Vehicle Center to check my V-strom's engine emissions the mechanic told me that on bikes usually are high in low rpm because the motorbike engines "produce" their power in high range rpm.
So, the emissions are found increased in every bike... cause they count them in a.... "car way" (in 2.500 rpm).

Kinjane

Reaction score
All new bikes above 125cc have their emissions listed in the V5c, so might be an idea to keep hold of it, you never know what's around the corner. wouldn't be the first retrospective addition to the MOT.

lee1980

Reaction score
I thought was needed to, as when bought mine with Arrow system included they said cat be like £130 extra! and its not needed legally as no emission tests yet! interestingly yamahas offer with akra does include cat but guess they need to be seen to be environmentally friendly!