Chain Adjusters

Soapy

Reaction score
This should maybe in the Tech Section (MOD'S feel free to move it). Had a puncture today so got a set of PR 4's fitted well pleased with them.
Not so pleased with the Chain Adjusters after the Mech adjusted them. He apologised but stated that he just torqued up the wheel nut to the correct spec.
The bike is in for a Service next week. I know some Forum Members have had this issue as well. I presume I'm within my rights to get replacements but surely they will do the same or can I ask for alternates.
What do you guys think?

Last edited:

chump

Reaction score
Many have had them replaced under warranty; I doubt you'll get an upgrade, though.

The Gilles items from Yamaha are well worth the money.

Soapy

Reaction score
Thanks Chump. Surely it will happen again when I need to adjust the chain? This is the first time the wheel nut has been off.

chump

Reaction score
Agreed. They are shit - made of cheese. Upgrade to the Gilles items - how well do you get on with your dealer? Maybe he can work a discount for you as it's a warranty issue?

Soapy

Reaction score
I've just been looking online. There are a few Gilles adjusters for the MT and they are all expensive. I'll try my luck with the Dealer but they are not known for giving a great amount of discount.

I've got to watch my money I was made redundant at the end of May and I got a small payout. But in the last month I've bought a Sargent seat at a bargain price, a Radiator Guard, Givi Rack and now unexpectedly new tyres. Over £500 in a few weeks. Might have to live with the adjusters for a little while.

Shaun64

Reaction score
I bought some Gilles red chain adjusters a couple of weeks ago off eBay from calsport £65 free post,last time I looked they were doing black ones for £65,the standard ones are shite the Gilles ones are excellent piece of kit.

Shaun64

Reaction score
Just checked they are still on eBay £65.95 free post item number 142047767370 .

Soapy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Just been on to the local dealer service department. They claim never to have had an issue. I pointed out the Forum and he said they would assess it when it is in for its service next week. Thinking of printing a couple of pages off the Forum and taking them in.

MODS- I take it you wouldn't object to that?

RipGroove

Reaction score
That's surprising. Unless of course they have never been asked to change a pair, but they must be aware of the softness of these OEM adjusters.
My dealer told me a few weeks back that they'd never heard of any CCT issues with the MT-09.

Sent from my iPhone 

chump

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Just been on to the local dealer service department. They claim never to have had an issue. I pointed out the Forum and he said they would assess it when it is in for its service next week. Thinking of printing a couple of pages off the Forum and taking them in.

MODS- I take it you wouldn't object to that?
You can go to any Yamaha dealer for a warranty claim. Doesn't have to be the supplying dealer.

Carvern

Reaction score
Gilles

Invested in the Gilles adjuster shortly after getting bike, may not look as trick as a screen or seat, but makes adjusting the chain a lot easier and gives confidence.

highlander

Reaction score
Yeah well I'm glad I got some too. The left side OE item squished when I undid the rear axle bolt! FFS! It was on tight but it's meant to be in strong at 150 nm according to the book, so should be designed to handle it.