Chain life question

shigidar

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have 16000 km on the bike and i oil the chain regularly and adjust it from time to time.
Few days ago i adjusted the tension again , and it seems that the chain have much more free play only after like 100 km of riding.
Any suggestions ? When i know that it time to replace the chain?

stevecbr

Reaction score
1st question is did you remember to tighten the axel nut after adjusting the chain?
My MT09 has done 14000 miles (22500km) and has plenty of life left, and here we ride in wet, shitty roads which wear the chain quicker.
You may have a tight spot in your chain, ie its tight at a certain point, then as you rotate the wheel it gets looser.
I will change mine when both of the above start to happen (ie needs regular tightening every few hundred miles, and the tight spots start to make it akward to adjust the chain properly

shigidar

Reaction score
I did tighten the axle nut after adjusting the chain.
didn't think of the tight spot option, will look into that.

XB12X

Reaction score
I have nearly 23,000 miles (37,000 km) on my Suzuki B-King chain. No sign of needing a new one yet.

Toine

Reaction score
You will need to adjust at its tightest spot.

The chain is to be raplaced if it can be lifted more than 5 mm. from the rear sprocket, or if parts are missing, like rollers or O-rings.

The rate of adjustments/wear depends on maintenance,

With spray on lubricants the chain might last for 20-35 K (kilometres)

With a automatic chain lubrication system you will hardly need to adjust.
On average I will get more than 100.000 km out of a chain. I replace the front sprocket every 30K

Toine

Reaction score
I have nearly 23,000 miles (37,000 km) on my Suzuki B-King chain. No sign of needing a new one yet.
You might want to inspect the front sprocket, at these mileages it could be worn, and a worn front sprocket puts more stress on the chain.

XB12X

Reaction score
It doesn't look worn, but thanks for the warning.I'll have another look.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
After 28K km it's time to put a new chain.
OEM d.i.d. chain has 2 knots and stretched abruptly after riding with pilion..
I decide to keep the OEM sprockets and put a AFAM 525 XSR 7" heavy duty gold chain.
My question is "How many links has the oem chain ???"
Please, i need someone to keep an eye in his MT-09 workshop manual cause the answer must be there...
Thanks a lot mates!

Matt Grey

Reaction score
Replaced my OEM chain after about 26k. It developed a shocking tight spot. It was going from completely taut to like 30mm of free play in about half a wheelspin.

boro

Reaction score
Managed to get mine to last to the 30Km service then had it and the rear sprocket changed (front is still fine).

LewFZ1

Reaction score
Each to there own I would have changed both sprockets. For a Renthal 16 tooth @£17.80 surely money well spent? I would be curious to see a front wth 30km on it against a new one. When I read your post at first I thought that was 30,000 miles, 30,000 kms = 18750 miles. What kind of chain maintenance lubrication do you carryout? sorry but obviously you need to review it.