Chain Lube

gussi

Reaction score
Hey all,

Currently using this
MOTUL ROAD CHAIN LUBE - 400ML for the MT and can’t say I’m thrilled with it. Just doesn’t seem to have any staying power. Saw an old thread that WD40 Chain Wax might be the biz, but can’t find that product online? Only Wet or Dry Bike Lubes...Any suggestions? Cheers

andz

Reaction score
I use Bel-Ray chain lube, it sticks like crazy which means you need to be careful where you spray it because cleaning it off is a bitch.

I made a cardboard protector that goes between the chain and the wheel to keep it clean while I spray.

gussi

Reaction score
I use Bel-Ray chain lube, it sticks like crazy which means you need to be careful where you spray it because cleaning it off is a bitch.

I made a cardboard protector that goes between the chain and the wheel to keep it clean while I spray.
Cheers man. Did look at Bel-Ray and also the DuPont Wax stuff, but it seems like hen’s teeth to get and none in Aus. I’ve ordered some Maxima Wax spray, which seems to get a fair wrap.

gussi

Reaction score

bobh

Reaction score
I've been using Wurth Synthetic Dry Lube for many years on several bikes. Generally gets a good rating in magazine tests. No fling at all, and I get good chain life.

The only times I've moved away from that are in the depths of winter if there's a lot of salty water around, when I've found Renthal chain lube excellent at keeping corrosion at bay. It's a very sticky stringy thick oil (a bit like STP oil additive - remember that?), and comes in a squeezy bottle so you get no aerosol overspray. It can be hard to find - I generally get it from online bicycle dealers.

stevecbr

Reaction score
I have used gear oil applied with a toothbrush for years. It does fling off and needs to be reapplied every couple of hundred miles, but I changed my original chain and sprockets on my MT09 at 29500 miles. Sprockets weren't that bad, chain had a couple of tight spots, but hadn't stretched much

Scaley

Reaction score
chain saw oil or gear oil. Main thing is to keep the chain clean

Wynner

Reaction score
Wurth dry lube for me. 12000 miles and the only adjustment I've made is to slacken the chain off after dealer tightened to the book which is too tight for my liking!

Reactions: FJW

P2smith

Reaction score
No- Toil makes a chain lube that doesn't leave the wheel dirty