Chain tension

bobh

Reaction score
That may be about right for a Tracer on the centre stand. But with the basic MT-09 only having a sidestand, it probably needs to be a bit tighter - I aim for 20-25mm (0.8-1.0 inch), which seems to work.

Now done 12K miles and the chain is in good order - virtually no lift off the rear sprocket. But I just checked the front sprocket and found a tiny bit of hooking, so I'll be changing that shortly - I do like to fit a new front sprocket before it gets too bad and starts to wear the chain, as it's cheap and extends the life of the more expensive bits of the drive train.

stevecbr

Reaction score
That may be about right for a Tracer on the centre stand. But with the basic MT-09 only having a sidestand, it probably needs to be a bit tighter - I aim for 20-25mm (0.8-1.0 inch), which seems to work.

Now done 12K miles and the chain is in good order - virtually no lift off the rear sprocket. But I just checked the front sprocket and found a tiny bit of hooking, so I'll be changing that shortly - I do like to fit a new front sprocket before it gets too bad and starts to wear the chain, as it's cheap and extends the life of the more expensive bits of the drive train.
I changed my oe chain & sprocket at 30000 miles, the front sprocket was very hooked!