Changing the CO settings in the DIAG menu

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So.....just been and had a little look at the CO settings on my bike and C1, C2 and C3 were all set to 14. Now I was under the impression that the factory setting was 0 like everyone has been saying theirs was b4 they played with it. Anyone else had a setting that wasn't 0 b4 they started ? Wud b interested to know what it was. I've left it on 14 and will try 0 tomorrow on my way back from work an c if there is any difference.

stevecbr

Reaction score
I wouldnt have thought you could change the co2 settings by any noticable difference. If I'd have spent £1000 on an Akrapovic, I would have budgeted for a PC and some dyno time. The ECU combined with the o2 sensor should compensate for it running a bit leaner. I wouldnt fiddle and hope for the best, if the mixture is to lean it will run to hot, and cause iriparable damage. At least run it on a dyno and see how the mixture is. Around here a basic power run is about £30-£40, and will give you power as well as fuelling figures

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's goin on the dyno Friday. Have set them all back to factory settings so will c wot comes out on the data sheet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misscrabstick

Reaction score
So.....just been and had a little look at the CO settings on my bike and C1, C2 and C3 were all set to 14. Now I was under the impression that the factory setting was 0 like everyone has been saying theirs was b4 they played with it. Anyone else had a setting that wasn't 0 b4 they started ? Wud b interested to know what it was. I've left it on 14 and will try 0 tomorrow on my way back from work an c if there is any difference.
Was your Akra fitted by the dealer? i wonder if the dash fueling changes are carried out by the dealer in accordance with some Yamaha directive if you have a Akra fitted by them.

The o2 sensors will only modify the fueling under light throttle conditions, fueling under hard acceleration and open loop warm up is handled by a preprogrammed fueling map, o2 sensors do not respond fast enough (once a second on average) to control the mixture under hard acceleration, this why changes to the fueling need modifications to the ecu's map, that said though on cars I know that some systems can "learn" and shift the basic fueling map based on long term feedback from the o2 sensors over time.

crotchrocket

Reaction score
i think i may have missed the part about how to access these settings on the dash? Interesting point about the dealer fitted akra though. I'll check my settings, as Woking yamaha fitted mine. Im going for Marthy's fuel controller, but will have to be March, as i bought an iMac this month …..ouch:D

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probike who is the dealer in question fitted it like they do all my bits an bobs lol. They really know their stuff so I knw I'm in good hands. It was dyno'd so we cud c exactly wot is goin on and 14 is the best setting for the akra (without baffle)! By the way.... There r NO Yamaha or Akrapovic directives for this exhaust (at the moment lol )!

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Probike who is the dealer in question fitted it like they do all my bits an bobs lol. They really know their stuff so I knw I'm in good hands. It was dyno'd so we cud c exactly wot is goin on and 14 is the best setting for the akra (without baffle)! By the way.... There r NO Yamaha or Akrapovic directives for this exhaust (at the moment lol )!

So are you saying that on the strength of the dyno checking probike set the fueling at 14?

I had the impression from your first post that you had just checked the setting and it was 14 already.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes it was set by them when they put the akra on but coz I'm anal I wanted them to check it all again and as I'm mates with the ower he was only too happy to get his guys to check again lol

relz

Reaction score
Can someone please explain what the CO actually does?
From the discussion it sounds like it controls the fuel to air ratio (lean to rich), is that all?
Why do Yamaha call it a CO setting, and not a air/fuel setting? Is it because they're referring to CO gas in the emission?

I know, I'm pretty dumb :what:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

misscrabstick

Reaction score
Can someone please explain what the CO actually does?
From the discussion it sounds like it controls the fuel to air ratio (lean to rich), is that all?
Why do Yamaha call it a CO setting, and not a air/fuel setting? Is it because they're referring to CO gas in the emission?

I know, I'm pretty dumb :what:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
yep, you about got it, CO is the air fuel ratio, CO being carbon monoxide, the richer a mixture is ( more fuel) the more CO is produced, it looks like this CO adjustment via the dash lets us move the fueling map preprogrammed into the control unit richer or leaner.

misscrabstick

Reaction score
How do you access this setting?

I do it sort of like this, its kind of hard without bike in front of me though, hold the two buttons in pressed on the dash, turn on ignition, keep them pressed until the dash displays "diag", I don't remember the rest really well but it's mainly about pressing the two buttons together except for adjusting the co which is left button add co and right button take away co, you do each cylinder seperately, and once each is set you double press and hold to lock it in then release, turn off ignition to finish the whole procedure. Sort of thing.:)

blueagle

Reaction score
I checked mine after changing the pipe, Factory settings were C1-0, C2-0, C3-0.. Changed it up to 14 on all 3 Cyl' and made a differance, bike much smoother and Engine temp dropped by 8*C.

tox

Reaction score
I hqve put the steps to the diag menu in the thread. Snatchy throttle fix in the modifications section

crotchrocket

Reaction score
I adjusted mine to 14 too, felt a slight difference. Must say i didn't check the engine temps, but thats good to know !

j4ybee

Reaction score
After riding mine today with the baffle removed i noticed the temp has dropped abit when not thrashing the bike around. Im pretty sure it used to run around 74C and today was averaging about 68C. Going to go check what my settings are set to later on.

flydnb

Reaction score
so when my akra is installed by the shop will they adjust any settings ?