clutch cable adjustment

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
hi all , just a quickie , had first service and the mechanic said that he had adjusted the clutch , ok no big dramas . the other night whilst cleaning the MT I noticed the adjuster on the lever and was a bit surprised to see how much of the adjuster has been used so far !! (see photo ) has anyone else got to this stage ? the bike has only done 1150 miles . soz the picture is a bit shit but I think you can see what I mean , cheers .
2015-07-28 19.39.22.jpg

stevecbr

Reaction score
It may have been incorrectly set up when new and PDI'd.(most likely) Remember it can also be adjusted at the other end. I'm guessing it was set up incorrectly when new by the workshop trainee

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
that's a bit worrying if that's the case as they only have the one mechanic !!!!!! :eek: wonder what else I'll find !!

pipski99

Reaction score
Mines the same, almost all adjustment used up at the clutch lever so also needs setting up to get some adjustment back.

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
pipski , just out of interest how many miles has your MT done ?? cheers

pipski99

Reaction score
pipski , just out of interest how many miles has your MT done ?? cheers
I have only 3300 on mine but the clutch adjustment has always been a long way out on the threads from new so it must have been shabby from the start I reckon.

Edit: Also, although I've only 3300 miles on the bike has had it's first and 2nd (6000 mile) service so if it was a problem then it should have been picked up on the 2nd service - or the headlight wiring recall - or the cam chain tensioner replacement.

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
hi all , I have now transferred the adjusted amount at the handlebar end of the cable to the engine end of the cable , in this case a measured 10mm , can anyone tell me if this is now still on the same adjustment or is there some scientific reason why it will be different ? the bike rides exactly like it did before though I may have over imagined a bigger clunk when I first put it into first gear !!!!! any reassurance would be greatly received , cheers to you all in advance .
also I have now fitted my ASV levers , I have had them on my previous bikes before , real quality kit ! :D :D

solomon

Reaction score
Clutch cable

Hi, I had my MT09 Tracer from new. After 1000km went for first service. Mechanic immediately adjusted the clutch adjustment to look almost like your photo. First gear was very clunky after this but clutch lever felt as it should. Travel and tension normal (I have been riding bikes for 30 years). Now, yesterday, only after 2600km clutch cable snapped !!! I have kept bike beneath 5000rpm since new and ride in STD mode with pillion. No wheelies or high revs !!! My advice, remove clutch cable and give it a very good inspection.

RC Moto Roger

Reaction score
Hi, I had my MT09 Tracer from new. After 1000km went for first service. Mechanic immediately adjusted the clutch adjustment to look almost like your photo. First gear was very clunky after this but clutch lever felt as it should. Travel and tension normal (I have been riding bikes for 30 years). Now, yesterday, only after 2600km clutch cable snapped !!! I have kept bike beneath 5000rpm since new and ride in STD mode with pillion. No wheelies or high revs !!! My advice, remove clutch cable and give it a very good inspection.
1st time snap 10,000 km now 2nd time snap 29,800km mileage

bobh

Reaction score
1st time snap 10,000 km now 2nd time snap 29,800km mileage
That's worrying.

I've had to adjust the cable several times since the bike was new (~3500 miles ago), though only by a small amount, maybe a quarter-turn, each time. It seemed as if the cable was gradually stretching. At the moment there are no signs that it might fail, but I'll keep a closer watch on it from now on.

I've had a number of Yamahas, new and secondhand, over the years and never had a clutch cable problem before. Maybe Yamaha have switched to a new, lower-quality supplier?

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
There is a "trick" to find out if your clutch cable is ready to snap and allerts you to buy a new cable.
When on bike press the clutch lever with your left hand and at the same time touch the wire with your right fingers at the right side of engine.
Try to feel any movement of the clutch cable's wire.
If you feel any looseness go and buy a new cable because the wire is ready to snap.
If you try to move it and the wire hasn't any move then.. don't worry your clutch cable is OK.
Do this test from time to time to prevent from a sudden snap..
:cool:

loneranger

Reaction score
hi all , just a quickie , had first service and the mechanic said that he had adjusted the clutch , ok no big dramas . the other night whilst cleaning the MT I noticed the adjuster on the lever and was a bit surprised to see how much of the adjuster has been used so far !! (see photo ) has anyone else got to this stage ? the bike has only done 1150 miles . soz the picture is a bit shit but I think you can see what I mean , cheers .
View attachment 3375
can anyone show me how to adjust the clutch cable at the engine end. `the retaining bolt I can loosen easy bit the upper nit is incased within the bracket and you cant get to it? so i cant adjust.

the cueball

Reaction score
There is no mention of having to remove a bracket or anything in my service manual (2016)..

Going my the diagram below, the bracket should be in the middle of the bolts, so maybe have a play around with the wire? Or loosen the lever end??