Clutchless gear changes

El Bandito

Reaction score
When I first got my Tracer I was less than smooth with my gear changes while I was finding the bite point of the clutch so I tried clutchless changes. They were very smooth going up the box, even from the lower gears. I don't do it now I've got used to the clutch but I was surprised at how good the box changed.
I used to have to do it with my Yamahas nearly 40 years ago to stop getting some false neutrals but todays gearboxes seem much better. I've not hit a false neutral for years.
Does anyone do clutchless shifts anymore?
What's the pros and cons?

the cueball

Reaction score
I only use clutchless up shifts when at the top of the rev range and I'm in a hurry...

It feels quicker to me... not sure if it's true or complete bolloxs....

fazers1

Reaction score
I do it all the time (upshift only) Always have its a lot smoother and better if u carry a pillion.It wont harm the gearbox if u get it right

TWMoto

Reaction score
Always clutchless up and sometimes down depending on the situation, quicker, smother and it what I feel comfortable with

robin

Reaction score
Yep! Clutchless all the way, up and down. Only use the clutch when I'm not in the range of the next gear. As in changing down 3 at a time!

El Bandito

Reaction score
I don't do down changes clutchless. Never quite managed to match the revs when I was younger and now I'm scared to cause any damage.
Seems there are more pros than cons then.

robin

Reaction score
Down changes need a little more revs.
Keep your foot pressed down on gear lever.
Give a little revs or if you are already reving, when the revs begin to drop the gear lever will drop down changing down one gear!

Toppie

Reaction score
I always do clutch-less up-changes but usually only from 2nd onwards.
Hardly ever down-shift without using the clutch, simply because I don't 'feel the need'.
Up-changing without using the clutch is nice and slick on the Tracer.

I also have a Kawasaki KLR 650 which has a nice slick 5 speed box but, it doesn't like clutch-less changes at all.
The bike ''bucks'' and the gears select with a 'not-nice-feeling' clunk.
I can still get a tad faster changes though by slightly 'feathering' the clutch lever on up-changes.