Correct spring for Ohlins 535 rear sock.

panosbklks

Reaction score
After installing the Ohlins spring kit on the front, I'm ready to buy the ohlins 535 for rear of my MT09 2017.

My weight is 67KG without gear. The usage of the bike will be 90% road riding and occasionally track riding.

What spring should i use? The standard is 95N.
Do I have to go with 90N?

Thoughts? : Confused:

Last edited:

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
After installing the Ohlins spring kit on the front, I'm ready to buy the ohlins 535 for rear of my MT09 2017.

My weight is 67KG without gear. The usage of the bike will be 90% road riding and occasionally track riding.

What spring should i use? The standard is 95N.
Do I have to go with 90N?

Thoughts? : Confused:
Having the same weight as you, i 've found the Ohlins front springs "too much" for me...
Standard MT-09 front springs are rated for 75kg/cm, when Ohlins are rated at 90kg/cm.
The result is no preload at all, just to have a proper sag.
My bike is turning to the limit thanks to ZX10R rear shock, which is a bit higher than stock, but its spring is rated at 90kg/cm when stock shock is rated at 102kg/cm.
So, std MT-09 suspension comes soft front/hard rear and is suitable only when wheeling...
The combination of 90kg/cm front and rear springs seems and -mostly- feels more equal for sport riding.
But if you haven't allready bought an Ohlins rear shock for your MT-09, ask the importer Christos Tasoulis at Kallirois str. what is his suggestion in your case..

panosbklks

Reaction score
Having the same weight as you, i 've found the Ohlins front springs "too much" for me...
Standard MT-09 front springs are rated for 75kg/cm, when Ohlins are rated at 90kg/cm.
The result is no preload at all, just to have a proper sag.
My bike is turning to the limit thanks to ZX10R rear shock, which is a bit higher than stock, but its spring is rated at 90kg/cm when stock shock is rated at 102kg/cm.
So, std MT-09 suspension comes soft front/hard rear and is suitable only when wheeling...
The combination of 90kg/cm front and rear springs seems and -mostly- feels more equal for sport riding.
But if you haven't allready bought an Ohlins rear shock for your MT-09, ask the importer Christos Tasoulis at Kallirois str. what is his suggestion in your case..
Thanks for the response!
Tomorrow I'm going to install the 535 with 90 spring after discussing with ohlins and my Yamaha dealer.
Indeed the front ohlins springs seems to much!
The current front sag is set to 27 free and 38 rider with almost zero preload (6 out of 7 lines)
On the other hand I have to go with zero preload on the rear also for getting a proper free sag 12 and 36 rider.
I hope things will be better by tomorrow with the ohlins rear.. it feels like a pogo stick right now and unbalanced.
I'm thinking also to go with zero preload for the front (and that's no good) just to get a bit more rider sag for road usage
Another option is to reduce the oil level on the front from the current 140 but I'm not sure this will work.
Last option is a cartridge for my weight or another set of springs (not ohlins) with less spring rate.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
If your weight is about 70kg then try the front at no preload at all.. i spent more than a year's road use just to understand and feel the difference between 7 rings showing and the rest half turn out...
So try it as softer as it could be, but pay attention at rebound. There are lots of u-tube videos how to do it by pushing down the front and let it come back with no overpassing the rider's sag point.
Mention that as a usd, the mt-09's fork is easy to "sucking" air and needs to take the air out to work properly.
If we ever meet you'll see how mine is responding.