Cracked Rear Swing Arm

Psycho Paul

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 2015 MT-09 while cleaning it today I noticed small cracks all the way along the top right hand side of the swing arm.
Looking closely you can see they have been painted over (from the factory). I took the bike back to Sondel and had a look at their demo bike and this was fine.
Had a word with Sondel about it and they said " we can change the swing arm if you want BUT to leave it for a few weeks and see what happens.

I'm NOT happy.

Has anyone else had this fault ?

R6owdlad

Reaction score
Hi all I have a 2015 MT-09 while cleaning it today I noticed small cracks all the way along the top right hand side of the swing arm.
Looking closely you can see they have been painted over (from the factory). I took the bike back to Sondel and had a look at their demo bike and this was fine.
Had a word with Sondel about it and they said " we can change the swing arm if you want BUT to leave it for a few weeks and see what happens.

I'm NOT happy.

Has anyone else had this fault ?
You sure it's cracked??

Psycho Paul

Reaction score
There's marks on it that look like cracks that have been painted over..
They don't look like casting marks and their demo hasn't got them . and that's the same year.

If you do a bodywork repair and don't rub down properly and leave slight rubbing down marks in the filler then paint over it . It leaves little marks that looks like cracks.
That's what I've got.

I'm going to to do what Sondel said and keep my eye on it.
They did agree with me "it didn't look right".

Colton123

Reaction score
Mine has that as well mate. When I went back to my dealer all there bikes where the same so they would not change it but has not got any worse .

stevecbr

Reaction score
Have checked my 2013 and it looks fine. Looks like the left and right side of swingarm are cast seperately, then welded together along the centre of swingarm. Could it be poor casting marks? could you post a picture?

Impostor1981

Reaction score
Haha love it. LEAVE IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. Well I only hope it won't happen in 90 mph turn. What a joke.