DBKiller Baffle Akrapovic removal and fit guide

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
loneranger did you cut your baffles down ? does it make it easier to get them in and out as well ? cheers .

MTom

Reaction score
i unscrewed the bolt, pulled it out, put it back in and tightened it up. Couldnt budge the db killer.

loneranger

Reaction score
i filmed it. I watched it. 12 seconds switched it off!

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
I wish the DBK was that easy to get out... We wanted to see the blood, sweat, tears & fowl language getting to that point...

carsicchris

Reaction score
baffle removal

Easiest way to get baffle out I found was to put a screwdriver in 2 of the baffles ,put a screwdriver or tyre lever inbetween and twist left and right it soon moves it. A different job putting it back in , that's why people are cutting the inner baffle pipes . Hope this helps.

Yam MT 09

Reaction score
good tip , did anyone else get their baffle from their dealer with the bolt sheared off ? I did and the dealer said that they all do that !!! porkies or what ???? :rolleyes:

MTom

Reaction score
good tip , did anyone else get their baffle from their dealer with the bolt sheared off ? I did and the dealer said that they all do that !!! porkies or what ???? :rolleyes:
They are damn liars and i hope you challenge them to a duel old boy ;)

Andrew Dean Aston

Reaction score
I drilled a 3mm hole, in the forward facing baffle tube ( when looked at from the side ). If you drill the innermost part if this individual baffle tube. Make a hook on one end of a 3mm piece of stainless rod and 90 bend on the opposite end. Hook the rod onto the baffle, pliars on the 90degree end, and tap (hard) with a small hammer. Baffles come out easier.

MDB

Reaction score
Baffle cutting

I get my new MT-09 delivered (with Akro exhaust) late this week and am hoping to take the baffle out to increase the sound slightly. I think it might be too loud to run it without any baffles in whatsoever.

Does anyone run it with NO baffles? - if so, is it really too loud?

OR - does it sounds better with just the baffles shortened on the inside?

Cheers

Steve

Rab4x4

Reaction score
At the moment I run with no baffle it is very loud if I was going away for the weekend I would put the baffle back in

Andrew Dean Aston

Reaction score
image.jpgBaffle out is pretty loud. Its fun for half hour, then becomes a headache. Cut the inner baffles down. Nice sound without being too quiet / too loud. The picture is with cut-down baffles.

Ryan O'Connell

Reaction score
I found with the stock air filter and no baffle you loose the awesome sound of the triple and the sound just rattles you so I cut the inner half of the baffle off and put it back it. Perfect mix. But since I put the K&N air filter in I now run without any baffles. It's really loud while you're riding hard and in high revs but sounds amazing. When I'm cruising through towns I'll tend to high gear it and it sounds beautiful but not too loud. And the beauty of the short gearing is you can comfortably be in 5th or 4th at 30 and still have enough torque to get yourself out of trouble if need be.

loneranger

Reaction score
woohooooo sounds like the cut baffle does the trick for most people!

MTom

Reaction score
i finally got mine off this weekend after 2800 miles stuck in there. Tried the screwdriver trick and small hole trick but still wouldnt budge. Ended up taking the backbox off which wasnt too difficult (2 x 12mm bolts and tapped gently off with a blunt flatblade screwdriver on the join towards the back wheel). Decided to put a washing up bowl underneath to break the fall which actually worked)
Put the backox upside down with the hanging bracket in a big bench vice i have and gently knocked the db killer out with a breaker bar from the inside as you can see where it joins inside.
Chopped the db killer down with a jigsaw and now i can get it in and out as i please now.

Its currently out but i cant ride it until Wednesday, it did however make my garage rattle when i started it up :cool: