De-Tune

minislap

Reaction score
Long story short...

My son has found a very well priced 2013 MT-09. It wouldn't be my first choice as he has not long had his full licence. I'm curious to know if the MT-09 can be detuned ? I appreciate it has handle bar performance switches but I'm keen to find out what, if any, ECU options are available
All help appreciated

Cheers

Alan

Val

Reaction score
Anything is possible. Its an ECU map. Define what do you mean de-tuned? In usual case retuned means you do some changes on usually sport bike to create bike with more torque in the lower revs.

Obviously you do not want exactly that, because it will mean your boy will have more torque easily available that means more acceleration. It is an engine. Whatever you do with the ECU you probably can do old fashioned way by changing the drive ratios. This is not your goal obviously.

You go to the guys that do ECU maps reflash and ask them what do you want. For example you may ask them to limit the power. Means they will flatten the curve and make the bike really boring. Added bonus it does say 90mpg.

Then your boy finds out and change it back ;)

To be honest even a 50cc scooter can be very dangerous depending what you do.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm sure we could map it "down" a bit. Have you thought about an 07 instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pavc

Reaction score
With the MT-07 tracer out as well now that could be a good option, would probably lower on the insurance as well.

flydnb

Reaction score
MT07 is a fantastic little bike much more user friendly for a fairly new rider , I would not recommend an 09 for a newish rider because of the torque and how quick it comes in , if your son has experience of riding a big dirt bike like a Honda cr450 moto crosser then he might be ok because the 09 has quite a similar urgency .

atomic

Reaction score
MT09 in B-mode is MT07 full throttle :)
Put it in B and take the switch off ;)

Last edited:

minislap

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies chaps,

Yea, MT-07 would be the sensible choice but he has a thing for the MT-09... and the one he has found really is a steal ! He also has a good background in off road biking. However... I'm his Dad and it's my job to be a pain in the arse. I know the fella who is selling the MT-09 and am aware of it's "fun factor", I would be happier if the "fun factor" was just a wee bit duller for the first year or so. To be fair he appreciates the Mt-03 07 Duke 390 etc would make sense in terms of road experience/power but they are too small as he is a tall fella and dwarfs them. So a temporary de-tune of the 09 seemed like a plan.

He ran a KTM Duke 125 to pass his test and as was mentioned, a low power bike has it's dangers. I'm not sure what's possible but plenty overtaking power without the arm stretching top speed would be the ideal

Thanks again

chump

Reaction score
you know the M09 is restricted at the top end? it's the throttle response and acceleration you need to be wary of.

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
IMO mt-09 can suit to newbies IF they are responsible.
B-Mode is friendly enough for his "first steps" on road/city/traffic/etc.
And of course it's a bike that you never get bored on it!
Hope you have find a 2nd hand bike ABS equipped.
ABS saves from falls in everyday commuting.
If i was you, i would choose ONLY an ABS version for my son...

minislap

Reaction score
Yea, ABS is on the bike he is looking at. I agree, very handy addition
I am assuming that an ECU remapping would allow the power graph, within reason, to show a reduction in all areas through the power band and not just the top end... Are there any per-programmed set up that can be bought off the shelf or would a dealer/tuner be able to set up a "bespoke" setting?

Cheers

motorcycleboy

Reaction score
Lagonisi Athens Greece, 37,5km from the city cente
There is the "free Yamaha remap" wich can be installed on bike from dealer (if it's not already in the bike..) allthough mine is on 1st yamaha "agressive" map without problem and i like it as it is!
The "free Yamaha remap" has got good comments from not so experienced riders.
If the bike is serviced properly then it runs better and sweater as many more km/ml the rider put on it.
Most of remaps are "unlocking" the engine's goodies...
For me the most important for a new rider is to have a seminar on track (as California Superbike School for example). This will help rider to become safer and faster.
So spend your money in "education" than in "power reduction"..
:cool:

J0b006

Reaction score
I asked the bloke who Dyno tuned my bike and flashed my ecu to tune the B mode on my 2016 mt09 to turn it into a ‘rain mode’. He did a really good job, it feels like a moped, only my old moped was a lot quicker off the lights. It’s slower than the Honda sv650 I did my mod 2 licence training on.

You could ask somebody to do the same to all 3 modes on yours. That will make the bike a lot safer for an inexperienced rider. Then when he’s ready you’ll have to flash it again.

Although it probably ruins the fuel efficiency, I only use B mode when it’s cold and wet at the same time in case theirs any ice.

*edit

you can also ask the tuner to set the rev limiter way down to limit the top speed. 6000rmp will limit the bike to around 90mph in 6th gear and 35mph in 1st with stock sprockets. And a 17t front sprocket (1up) will make it more sensible as well.

Last edited: