Do MT's run hot?

lee1980

Reaction score
Only had mine a few weeks now, lately its been like near 1 degree centigrade, and when in traffic for a few mins, it goes up pretty quick to 106c then drops when fan kicks in of course. Been a while since had a bike with decent temp reading last bike only had a light to come on when time to pull over.

If its coming on this fast now when near freezing even in UK summers its going to be coming on like very quick!

There are times in traffic when I get stuck behind a bus etc to and inner city centre is well risky to filter madly etc.

I will check coolant soon as that could be low.

kevxtx

Reaction score
106 is normal', mine runs there most days in traffic, we have had temps in the high 30's C of late & the 09 has never over heated, if you want a bike that runs hot buy a KTM 990 SMR on my last one the fan never stopped until I did a dual fan mod.

stevecbr

Reaction score
Yes, mine does to, but only when stuck in traffic. I have had mine 15 months now, so used in summer and winter, and its only in traffic it comes on, winter or summer. On the open road it hovers about the 70-74 degrees mark, however your riding.
Its totally normal, most modern performance bikes do it, as the manufacturers like to keep the weight as low as possible, so a smaller rad is cheaper, has less water and weighs less. Only downside is they need a fan to cool down more than older bikes with bigger rads

lee1980

Reaction score
Groovy thanks all sounds like fine then, didnt feel major heat coming off engine either but sure will in summer! will check coolant to, to be sure

MT09-Smurf

Reaction score
Yes, it's normal, 106 fan kicks In... You can reduce the fan temperature but will need Simons soopadoopa ECU flash...

Kinjane

Reaction score
You need to stay out of that city traffic!

Mine reached 87*c today whilst out up on the Mendips, but then I only had to stop twice during the whole ride :D
It should improve with mileage, mine got better around 5,000 - and again at 6,000 after the service.

lee1980

Reaction score
You need to stay out of that city traffic!

Mine reached 87*c today whilst out up on the Mendips, but then I only had to stop twice during the whole ride :D
It should improve with mileage, mine got better around 5,000 - and again at 6,000 after the service.

I wish the 9 mile commute is 2/3 through town/city centre traffic, Bristol to apparently now more if not worse for traffic than London.
Today was not so bad only kicked once or twice, after being knocked off last year I am being even more careful filtering etc!

kevxtx

Reaction score
I would still check your water level in the over flow bottle as 99% of bikes will need a top up, most radiator hoses swell a little when settling in which lowers the water level in the over flow tank.

flipper

Reaction score
as long as it's above min on the tank when cold it's fine. top up too much and it'll puke coolant out of the overflow when hot, then you'll be worried the head gasket has blown.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We reduce the kick in temp as an option with the ECU flash. Works an absolute treat in the summer heat say in traffic

bopnigr1

Reaction score
hot mt

don't worry about it mate I had a 08 r1 before and I swear to god the sun only had to think about coming out and the bloody fans would kick in-talk about roast chestnuts!

M

MT account

106 is for girls.......i regularly see 225 degrees on my FZ......now that is a bit scarey.....

lee1980

Reaction score
Sure does seem similar to most bikes as soon as at lights for a min or 2 it kicks in, but do think it be better if it was like 100c it kicked in but i guess Yamaha must know best! its not got really hot yet either lol

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure does seem similar to most bikes as soon as at lights for a min or 2 it kicks in, but do think it be better if it was like 100c it kicked in but i guess Yamaha must know best! its not got really hot yet either lol
That's y we reduce it down when we flash them lee

lee1980

Reaction score
Yeah I read flash includes that, I haven't decided yet if will do anything, I don't think will bother with Yam official flash.
See how goes now it's improving all time as breaking in much smoother.

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I read flash includes that, I haven't decided yet if will do anything, I don't think will bother with Yam official flash.
See how goes now it's improving all time as breaking in much smoother.
That's a fair one. Many people get our flash because of the other benefits as well as the smoothness.