Dodgy Fuel guage sender

plongy

Reaction score
Returning from a trip to the Cat & Fiddle, my mates were signalling they needed fuel. A quick glance at my fuel guage told me I still had a full tank. FULL TANK? After 130 miles? Something wasn't right. Pulling into to the nearest petrol station a vigorous shake of the bike got the guage to drop down to 2 bars. Methinks a sticky float in the sender unit. A couple of tankfulls later, with the guage repeatedly running at full for well over 120 miles and my dealer is telling me this might not be unusual as the Tracer has a tall tank and the float doesnt reach to the top of the tank so will not show a linear fuel use from full. While that might sound sensible, full to 3 bars after 120 miles or more still sounds like a fault to me. Dealer is a bit of a trek from me so he is going to fill and drain the tank on his demo and report back.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

OOps sorry, this sould be in the tracer forum, will repost there.

Last edited:

chump

Reaction score
Returning from a trip to the Cat & Fiddle, my mates were signalling they needed fuel. A quick glance at my fuel guage told me I still had a full tank. FULL TANK? After 130 miles? Something wasn't right. Pulling into to the nearest petrol station a vigorous shake of the bike got the guage to drop down to 2 bars. Methinks a sticky float in the sender unit. A couple of tankfulls later, with the guage repeatedly running at full for well over 120 miles and my dealer is telling me this might not be unusual as the Tracer has a tall tank and the float doesnt reach to the top of the tank so will not show a linear fuel use from full. While that might sound sensible, full to 3 bars after 120 miles or more still sounds like a fault to me. Dealer is a bit of a trek from me so he is going to fill and drain the tank on his demo and report back.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

OOps sorry, this sould be in the tracer forum, will repost there.
my MT does very similar. shows full for a good 100 miles. usually drops to "correct" level when I switch off and back on.

Laffli

Reaction score
My Tracer does the same, but filled to the top I can get 200 miles on a full tank. So reset trip when fueling up not a problem, and when last bar starts flashing it starts reserve fuel trip meter in which you have about 25 miles left to get fuel.

wakers

Reaction score
My MT gauge is all over the place also, not as bad as yours but it'll tell me i have a full tank until i get off the bike and next start it up and it'll drop a few bars, can also do it the other way too, got on my bike a few days ago with a flashing single fuel bar then about a mile later 3 bars.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Kinjane

Reaction score
The bars do not register an equal amount of fuel. My first bar will disappear when the tank is half empty and the rest disappear at a disproportionate rate with the last bar worth between 12-15 miles before it enters flashing mode.