Dodgy Fuel guage sender

plongy

Reaction score
Returning from a trip to the Cat & Fiddle, my mates were signalling they needed fuel. A quick glance at my fuel guage told me I still had a full tank. FULL TANK? After 130 miles? Something wasn't right. Pulling into to the nearest petrol station a vigorous shake of the bike got the guage to drop down to 2 bars. Methinks a sticky float in the sender unit. A couple of tankfulls later, with the guage repeatedly running at full for well over 120 miles and my dealer is telling me this might not be unusual as the Tracer has a tall tank and the float doesnt reach to the top of the tank so will not show a linear fuel use from full. While that might sound sensible, full to 3 bars after 120 miles or more still sounds like a fault to me. Dealer is a bit of a trek from me so he is going to fill and drain the tank on his demo and report back.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

Shaun64

Reaction score
If you look at the fuel gauge from full to half it's one big bar it's not split into small segments i.e full 3/4 etc,I've found it takes for ages to use the 1st half of the tank but the 2nd half goes quickly,you will soon get used to it it sounds fine to me plus they are good on fuel,check your average mph on clocks.

Sven

Reaction score
Was out on mine yesterday. I noticed after 110 miles, the guage was still on full. But less than 10 miles later it had dropped 2 bars. As i usually get about 150 from a tank, that means the guage drops all the bars in the last 40-ish miles!

pavc

Reaction score
Same with mine takes miles and miles before it goes down on the gauge, Tend to get 175 miles before the reserve flashes. If going on a long journey would use one trip meter for petrol and the second trip meter for actual journey mileage.

O

owle

The fuel gauge on the Tracer takes up a lot of screen space and is pretty useless, i tend to ignore it, i reset trip 1 when i fill up and look for fuel at 170 miles.