Dumb or not so dumb wiring question.....maybe??

woodie100

Reaction score
Hi all
I have bought a pair of air horns to replace the rather wet stock horn. The problem that I have is that I have seen on YouTube that the positive from the battery goes via the switch to terminal 86 on the relay. I have sound which wire that connected to the stock horn, when the button is pressed becomes live. Not problem I thought, connected up inc compressor for horns, but where oh where does the other wire from the horn go? A simple ohms check shows it a neg/ground connection so I thought simple, connect that to pin 85 but it don't work!! few fuses later on, I'm stumped!!
I attach a pic of the wiring diagram I found on line....IMG_6708 (1).PNG

The guy on the video stated that he made a mistake by the switch (should not have the thin line there).....what am I doing wrong?? I have tested the compressor and that works fine so im stumped!

JonB

woodie100

Reaction score
Cheers John, I'll keep that in the pocket for if/when I get a set of spots for the bike!
I think that I have cracked it (or my father in laws son has if im being honest!) and will try it tomorrow.
Thanks again for the help you have given me (y)

woodie100

Reaction score
All working as they should and boy are they loud!! whilst on the subject, for a mini-second, one horn seems to be slower than the other before it joins in the chorus of barps!! is this normal and it doesn't bother me one bit but just an observation!

JonB

woodie100

Reaction score
Here is my wiring for the headlight LEDs I have installed, might help a bit. Replace lights with the horn?
Hi john,

I have just fitted a pair of spotlights onto the crash bars and have a single switch fitted onto the handlebars. This has 2 wires out of it as do both spotlights. I was wondering if I can piggyback/use the same relay as the air horns or simply find a switched live and wire both spots in series. ie live feed to switch then onto spot 1 then onto spot 2 then back to ground. Any suggestions mate?

Cheers
JonB

woodie100

Reaction score
Hre is my wiring for the headlight LEDs I have installed, might help a bit. Replace lights with horn?
Hi again John,
Just been looking again at your diagram, and wondered if I could find an ignition switched live feed and route that to the spot switch then to both lights and ground them both using the 2nd cable from the spots if you get my meaning.
EG -
Battery (+12v supply) -->
(on/off via ign) -->
Spotlight switch-->
+ of both spots -->
neg from both spots to earth.

Hope you can work out what I'm trying to say!, if you could let me know that would be very much appreciated(y)(y)

JohnD

Reaction score
Cant help atm, in France. Try the FJ site in the US for some info. That is where I found mine.