Question EBC break pads - wheel difficult to rotate

Kcolo

Reaction score
Hello.
I have a MT09 SP 2018 with just under 8,000 km on it.

Yesterday I changed the rear and front break pads from stock to EBC Double-H Sintered pads. No problem with the rear wheel after the pads were changed.

I do have a problem with the front after the pads changed. The wheel is difficult to rotate. That is it just doesn't rotate as free as when the old pads were in it. I have to use a bit of force to rotate the wheel. The calipers are spotless and pistons are about 95% clean.

I did notice when I pushed the pistons back with a spreader, on the right hand side caliper the pistons kept moving back out. Would the problem be to do with too much break fluid?

Lastly on the original front pads there is no backing plates. On the front EBC pads there is backing plates on the pads.

Any help or advice would be most welcome.

stevecbr

Reaction score
I dont use the backing plates. A little bit of use should scrub the pads in, and the resistance should slowly disappear.
If you still have an issue then syringe out some brfake fluid, but I doubt it will come to that

Kcolo

Reaction score
I dont use the backing plates. A little bit of use should scrub the pads in, and the resistance should slowly disappear.
If you still have an issue then syringe out some brfake fluid, but I doubt it will come to that
Thanks for your reply.
I got sorted in the end. I removed the backing plates and then the wheel rotated as normal.
I also contacted EBC to get their opinion and they told me if the original pads on your bike don't have backing plates then just remove the plates before you put the new EBC pads on. The reason for the plates is that the same break pad model covers a number of different bikes. Some bikes use the backing plates and some bikes don't.
The 2018 MT09SP doesn't use them.
Back on the road again. 😃
Thanks again for your reply.👍
Cheers