ECU Flash Options Questions

jezthomas

Reaction score
I know, I know; more stuff on flashing, sorry. I searched all over the forum but couldn't find answers to the below, so would appreciate some advice.

A few questions on the various options I can choose for an ECU flash - what do they mean and why would I want it done?
1. Disable AIS valve:
I searched the forum and found this:
The air induction system (AIS) burns unburned exhaust gases by injecting fresh air (secondary air) into the exhaust port, reducing the emission of hydrocarbons. BAD for me as a greeny; the main reason I ride a bike and not drive a car is for environmental reasons.
By removing the air injection system you can achieve an accurate A/F ratio. GOOD. Does this mean the throttle and air/fuel delivery will be smoother? Does it also actually mean the engine will be more efficient and so, by saving more fuel, is actually as green as the ungreenness of flushing out those unburned gases?

2. Disable injector decel cut. So does this mean that all fuel is cut when not accelerating, thus when we accelerate there’s a hiatus/hiccup before the response occurs? Or is this to do with engine breaking?

3. Optimised timing maps for 91+ octane is offered by one of the flashes I found. I was told by Yamaha and a bike mechanic mate to put 95 octane in? If it’s optimised for 91 is it then okay to use 91, or am I better using 95 regardless of optimisation?

4. Is there an additional charge if I take the bike along, as they have to remove the ECU, or can it be done in situ?

5. Why do people change to e.g. a K&N filter? Faster, more efficient? I ask as I guess it’ll change the flash settings so, as I only want to flash once, I want to know if I should change the filter first.

Thanks people.

Fulfilled-09

Reaction score
I'm NO expert - but there is experienced knowledge here on the forum - but from my basic knowledge, I will answer to the best of my ability:

1. Disabling the AIS will remove the "popping" on deceleration (un-burnt gasses?). Personally, I like the popping and wouldn't want it disabled.
2. The off/on throttle transition is smoother, surely.
3. The MT09 engine, like most performance engines, are designed to run on higher RON fuel so the fuel doesn't combust prematurely. I run mine on Shell V-Power.
4. Can be done in situ or removed and sent off to companies for flashing by post, so to speak.
5. A K&N or similar has more effective filtration over an OEM filter, which filters better but also lets more air inside.

Please advise/amend as necessary!

TIM80

Reaction score
I had my ecu flashed by ECUWEST in Perth and at the time they were unable to disable the AIS . So I obtained block off plates from the US and removed the AIS altogether. There is a good you tube vid showing you how to replace the AIS . you can also use the vid to remove your ECU and change your air filter.

Last edited:

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
3. The MT09 engine, like most performance engines, are designed to run on higher RON fuel so the fuel doesn't combust prematurely. I run mine on Shell V-Power.

Please advise/amend as necessary!
It's advised to run on 95 RON. 98 Does nothing for performance on this engine

Triple Trouble

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought "premium unleaded" was recommended (owners manual)? That could be defined as 95 RON + I presume? :)
Lol depends where you get your fuel. Some "suppliers" claim 95 is premium. I'd beg to differ. 98 is just a waste of cash. It won't give any extra mpg/bhp or torque. It just has less additives. Obviously it comes down to personal preference

jezthomas

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.
1. So it seems the jury is out on whether this is more environmental.
2. So this is just to make the throttle smoother?
3. So 95 RON is the way to go, so I wouldn't choose 91 optimisation as a flash feature, and it seems weird that they offer it.
4. I'll let them do it with the ECU in-situ then.
5. So more effective filtration over an OEM filter, which filters better but also lets more air inside. How much better is the filtering compared to a standard filter? Is it worth doing? Why is more air better?

Any further thoughts? Cheers guys.

jezthomas

Reaction score
I had my ecu flashed by ECUWEST in Perth and at the time they were unable to disable the AIS . So I obtained block off plates from the US and removed the AIS altogether. There is a good you tube vid showing you how to replace the AIS . you can also use the vid to remove your ECU and change your air filter.
Why did you do this; to remove the popping and/or engine breaking? Thanks.

TIM80

Reaction score
Why did you do this; to remove the popping and/or engine breaking? Thanks.
. The AIS ( Air injection system) is designed to burn any unused fuel in the exhaust system thus preventing damage or wearing out the CAT converter in the standard exhaust system. I fitted a Carbon Akra (without DB killer) which has no CAT . I was getting extreme backfire at times . Sounded like a fifty cal going off. Block off plates worked wonders . I have popping still but only when pressing hard thru my favorite twisties when you would expect to have it . All up with the Akra , ECU flash and block off plates fitted the MT runs and sounds great.

Last edited: